Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Toss Trick

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Bird Toss Trick

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Bird Toss Trick

Kili shows off her bird toss trick in this new video and the article describes how the trick came about and tips for teaching it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird Toss Trick

Postby liz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:22 am

I don't see any purpose for this trick. I do think that it should not have been posted. They are not toys to be thrown around they are little beings. Please don't encourage this as many little birds are going to get hurt or tramatized.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:21 am

I'm sorry but I have to agree. How does this benefit a bird in any way? It doesn't create trust, it brings it no pleasure or exercise. It does nothing but objectify the bird (a beanbag?!) and provide an inane titillation to the human. It certainly will not make bird lovers happy, Michael.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby marie83 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:04 pm

I've never disagreed with you teaching tricks to your birds Michael and have a lot of respect for you but I agree with the others, this is irresponsible and needs taking down.

As for Kili what would she do if you misjudged her landing? She is there trusting you, not spreading her wings and taking flight so she would just fall to the floor more than likely or leave it too late to save herself without injury. Maybe you are holding her over a bed/cushion or something but that's still not really the point.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 pm

marie83 wrote:As for Kili what would she do if you misjudged her landing? She is there trusting you, not spreading her wings and taking flight so she would just fall to the floor more than likely or leave it too late to save herself without injury. Maybe you are holding her over a bed/cushion or something but that's still not really the point.

You didn't finish watching the video. If there is any doubt in her mind, she just flies away. It is entirely not forced upon her. We've been playing around like this for over a year and just building up height. It's a low priority trick. It's just something we do when bored. Started something like passing her from hand to hand and eventually bouncing just a little and more and more. If she gets tired or doesn't wanna do it, she can flip over and land on my hand. If she's really had it, she just flies away. She's a perfectly willing participant and is in no danger.

People toss babies all the time. Babies on the other hand don't have wings. So a slip up or mistake could be harmful!
Michael
Macaw

Postby marie83 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Michael wrote:
marie83 wrote:As for Kili what would she do if you misjudged her landing? She is there trusting you, not spreading her wings and taking flight so she would just fall to the floor more than likely or leave it too late to save herself without injury. Maybe you are holding her over a bed/cushion or something but that's still not really the point.

You didn't finish watching the video.
People toss babies all the time. Babies on the other hand don't have wings. So a slip up or mistake could be harmful!

Yes I did finish watching the video. Doesn't change my opinion, there is still a chance you miss the catch and Kili doesn't save herself in time. George was once rolling about on a towel on my sisters bunk bed on he fell off the side and only saved himself 1 and a half-2ish feet from the ground. I'm sure your not as tall as a bunk bed even if the difference is kili expecting the toss and George not expecting the fall. You can't always predict animals and they aren't always 100% on the ball at all times either. My gripe with the video is other people copying you more than that issue although that is still an issue.

As for tossing babies I wouldn't know, it wouldn't be something I would do if I am ever in the position of holding one.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:15 am

Michael, you know your birds. Though I do not agree with a lot of your practices the big problem here is that you posted it. It is like a TV program teaching how to make a bomb. Some one is going to try it. Little birds are going to be injured or killed.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:38 am

It really just doesn't work that way. When falling down, birds flap. It's reflexive. It's actually really hard to teach this trick because you are essentially teaching them to supress reflex momentarily. They are much quicker to revert to reflex unless high motivation is there to overcome it. I am not worried about people seeng this and possibly trying to copy it because without extensive trust and training it just won't work! The bird wil flap to safety.

Go ahead, toss your (flighted) bird and you will aee they can flap out of it just fine. The only situation I have seen birds actually fall is when they get in a fight with each other. And even then they cushion te impact with some flapping.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:49 pm

You might be right and then you might be wrong. But the point is that this is something that does not, in any way, benefit the bird. Quite the contrary, it objectifies it, something that should always be a complete no-no. It's hard enough to make people understand that they are not 'Just a bird' to begin with... You are already in hot water with lots of bird lovers and avian behaviorists, why add fuel to the fire?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:51 pm

I see no harm in showing people bird tricks and inspiring them to be more involved with their birds. Considering how many birds are stuck at rescues or get dumped by bored people, inspiring interaction, training, love, and passion is what the bird community needs most. Just telling people not to even get birds in the first place hasn't been working out too well now has it?
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments