Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots in Winter

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Parrots in Winter

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Parrots in Winter

Article about taking parrots outside in the cold winter months. Photo, video, and cartoon included.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrots in Winter

Postby Meehlticket » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:38 am

My cockatoo, Wilson :hatching: ,has a winter coat that she wears over her harness. It was an extra small dog coat with a rain repellent top over a serpa lining, that I adapted with my sewing skills and some velcro. She is very willing to wear it when it is cold out (which isn't very often here in southern Alabama.)
Meehlticket
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo
Dusky Pionus
African Grey

Postby LightFlashA » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:39 pm

What if I don't want my Senegals eyes to turn yellow? I read and heard that some Senegals' eyes just don't turn yellow, and when I found that Yui's eyes were still a stunning grey after the age that they were supposed to turn yellow I was thrilled. I mean of course I would still take her out for her health and of course I would still love her even though her eyes are yellow! But I'm asking does that always happen when you take Senegals outside often? (She's not harness trained yet therefore can't go outside just yet)
LightFlashA
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:48 am

LightFlashA wrote:What if I don't want my Senegals eyes to turn yellow? I read and heard that some Senegals' eyes just don't turn yellow, and when I found that Yui's eyes were still a stunning grey after the age that they were supposed to turn yellow I was thrilled. I mean of course I would still take her out for her health and of course I would still love her even though her eyes are yellow! But I'm asking does that always happen when you take Senegals outside often? (She's not harness trained yet therefore can't go outside just yet)

Taking your bird outside to get sunshine has nothing to do with their eyes turning yellow. That is genetics and no one knows why some Senegals retain their grey eyes instead of them turning yellow. They do refer to them as blue eyed Senegals as opposed to yellow eyed Senegals.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Wolf is correct - and some of them are born with yellow eyes, according to some breeders.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments