Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Santina Rescue Macaw's Roar

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:04 pm

Santina's Roar music video and article. Read about Santina's progress and benefits to adopting a parrot. Then check out Santina's Roar Video. Share the video to raise awareness about rescues and to participate in the contest. Details in the article.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Santina Rescue Macaw's Roar

Postby magdalena » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Love Santina's new video. She certainly has come a long way! I would have to say it was love at first bite! Great job Michael!
magdalena
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Darling » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Santina is a lucky bird to find your heart and home. Yes, I agree with you, more bird lovers should consider a rescue parrot. In regard to most parrots long lifespans an older parrot can become a wonderful companion. Some rare exceptions could be wild caught or abused parrots. When a parrot is at least partially raised (imprinted) by humans he or she can be tamed. Although it can take much more time, patients and love to succeed. I did my research with the help of two parrot rescue organizations before I adopted my mildly abused twelve year old Quaker Louie. He learned to trust me over the course of one year, plus I try not to give him a chance to bite. Training is a big help too. Actually, he was starved for love and attention. He picked up his talking again in my home. He is very intelligent and knows the meaning of the words and whole sentences. It is rewarding to give one lonely bird a happy and healthy life.

Parrot rescue organizations in Minnesota, both are nonprofit:
Avalon Parrots, 960 Mahtomedi Ave.,Mahtomedi, MN 55115
Tel.:651-762-1151

Parrot Help, 7317 Lake Drive, Lino Lakes,MN 55014
Tel.: 612-210-1752

Darling, Tel.: 763-420-3875
Darling
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird, Quaker

Postby ceciliar » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:16 am

I saw your video from YouTube on BirdChannel.com showing how you came to rescue Santina, whose name was Santino, until she laid an egg. I have three birds. One is Lucky, a female Congo African-Grey and two male Quaker parrots. One is Audie and the other is Alex. I have had Audie for 13 and 1/2 years and Alex for 5 and 1/2. Lucky, I got, not too recently. She's 19 and 1/2 years and wasn't originally mine. She was the pet bird of a friend of mine who passed away, not too recently. My friend passed away suddenly either overnight on September 25. 2014 or during the early morning hours of September 26, 2014 and apparently he must have attended to Lucky in what were his last hours of life, during the day of September 25, 2014. He must have cleaned her cage and given her food and water, but the next day all day and all night, she was unattended and no one knew, until early on Saturday, September 27, 2014, when he was found by his manager and his manager's wife. Responding officers, came and it was then that Lucky had anyone attend to her. My friend's relatives were called and came to get her out of that environment and the next day, on Sunday September 28, 2014, they gave her to me, as per his instructions if anything ever happened to him. When I first got Lucky, she was so stressed and confused, not knowing where she was and wasn't letting anyone handle her. She even bit me as my sister and I were handling her cage to set it up. Once she started to settle in to her new environment, we gave her space and allowed her to interact with us, one person at a time. Now, she's so used to her environment that she wants to rule the roost, but that job is already taken by Quaker parrot, Audie, who was a gift given to me by my deceased friend. Lucky, is also exploring and is curious and she's even vocalizing more, than when I got her, because she is no longer alone, because she has my Quaker parrots to vocalize with and back at them, as Lucky, was a loner bird for many years. It was her and my friend, until his sudden an unexpected passing. :monk: :gray:
ceciliar
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: I have one CAG (Congo African-Grey) and two Quaker Parrots.
Flight: No

Postby Lizz » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:44 pm

You have them lined up according to size. Do they get along?
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Macawsluv » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:40 pm

I am currently owned by 3 birds.
I have a 14 yr old Green Wing Macaw and a 32 yr old Catalina Macaw and a 4 yr old Blue
Indian Ring Neck.
My Green Wing is a one person Bird and only loves me and will try to lunge at anyone including my Husband anytime they go near her, so to say the least everyone stay's away from her.

I really wish I had your skills, I have the time to devote to my birds, I just don't really know what I am doing wrong.
The Old man (Tyler) the 32yr old Catalina is just so wishy washy with his emotions, I am having such a hard time reading him. He will look every calm, not ruffled feather, and all of a sudden he will lunge at me threw the cage bars. Next time he will step up fine and just be wonderful.
Now then it comes to trying to give him a scratch on the head, he won't have it.
I show no fear as they know when your afraid of them and they will feed off that. I am at just a loss on how to get him to trust me. He is fully flighted and don't even know he can fly, it's just so sad! I would love to have him comfortable enough with me to teach him, that he can fly and enjoy
a free flight session!

And My little Blue Ringneck is on some crazy path of self destruction. I adopted this guy from a lady who could not handle his situation.
Let me make this story as short as I can. This Bird is clearly a Male, he has the ring around his neck and all. But every month like clock work he pulls his feather out, it takes him about 2 days to do this, then he will allow them to grow back in, and then the next Month on the same day, he will pull them all out again.
I can not for the life of me figure him out. It's like he has PMS. Is this a training issue or just does he have a lost screw somewhere? Is there a trick or training trick to help him out?

Also my last thing is I was looking to get your Book, Clicker, and a T-Shirt, do you have a combo package? and would you be willing to sign my book?
I am in South Bend Indiana, and we have a Bird Club Here, what is the charge for you too fly/drive here to spend a few hours with our Group?

I also would like to Nominate "Feather Tip Rescue" Located here in South Bend. This lady runs a wonderful rescue from her home, and takes No Funds from the Government. She pay's for all the supplies and vet cost from her own pocket. I would like to Nominate her and the Rescue for your contest.
" Bird crazy " is what they call me, And Parrots are my game. This name I have been given, Is an honor, not a shame.
Macawsluv
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: One Green Wing Macaw 14yrs old, 32 yr old Catalina Macaw and a 4 yr old Indian Ringneck and the Newest addition Is Luna a 17yr old Congo African Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:11 pm

Have your club contact me to work something out. As for a combo package, check out my Gift Basket set that includes book, shirt, and much more. Thanks for nominating a rescue and I hope you can stick around and enjoy the parrot forum as well.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby chefaz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:51 pm

I'm nominating for favorite Parrot Rescues
Florida Parrot Rescue
http://floridaparrotrescue.com/
and
Blessing Birds, Maryland
http://blessingbirdsparrot.rescueme.org/
443-825-8546

another worthy cause is
https://www.seabirdsanctuary.com/
since this is for wild birds, don't know if they would qualify for the contest.

the contest is a great idea. THANK YOU!!!
chefaz
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot.

Postby liz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:27 pm

When I was searching for a friend for Rambo, I must have contacted every avian rescue on the east coast.
The closest one is Red Dog Farm in Greensboro NC. They had so many rules that they rejected me for having a busy house.
http://www.floridaparrotrescue.com was the one who gave me the most info. She told me I lived too far and that she did not want a bird traveling that distance. She was the one who told me to check craigslist for a bird who has not made it to a shelter.
I soon found Myrtle. She came from a quiet and dark house and seemed to enjoy my busy house.
Gagney and Lacy came from craigslist and I am sure they are happy here.
So I nominate Florida Parrot Rescue.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Macawsluv » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Hey Melissa Here,
I noticed in the Roar Video with the Beautiful Santina, he feather's were a little plucked/ down showing! Mine is doing that too. I was wondering if that is apart of Malting? I don't see mine pulling them out, but they are in the same spots as Santina's ! Legs, Chest only.
The vet said to watch it so it don't become a "habit" My Catalina is not doing it, but does have some pin feathers. Babs the Green wing also has pin feather's too. Even on top of her head.

I feel it's only Malting, and started back in August at the end of the month, and is finally filling in, but now I see some down floating around on the floor.

So if anyone knows what's up, or any idea's I would greatly love to hear them.
Thanks for Reading fellow Blogger's.
Melissa ;)
Macawsluv
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: One Green Wing Macaw 14yrs old, 32 yr old Catalina Macaw and a 4 yr old Indian Ringneck and the Newest addition Is Luna a 17yr old Congo African Grey

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments