Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

There's No Such Thing as a Free Bird

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Article about adoption fees and prices of parrots.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: There's No Such Thing as a Free Bird

Postby cml » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:15 am

Well said Michael. I think a lot of people really misjudge how much it actually costs to own a parrot. Cages, food, toys and vet visits all add up, and the montly cost is quite high, quickly dwarfing the price you pay to obtain a parrot.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Tman007 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:13 am

I agree with you Michael, The parrot could cost 1500.00 or 2.00 and still it's the up keep day in day out, week after week and month after month and so on. And also people get wrapped up in getting a new parrot and then another until they get over their heads in parrots and the parrots are the ones that suffer. I have people once they hear I have parrots they want me to take theirs of their hands. I know what I can do, I have my two right now. And I have room for one more I am waiting for that very special rescue. I still want to work with the ones I have and get them up to speed with me. Bonding, training, and letting them get a little bit older. Andy is still under a year and Amos is just over a year.
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Lizz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:56 am

This is so true. But I really fear for the babies being sold cheap by breeders.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Well, this is quite a general comment because there are lots of good homes that get parrots for free (I hardly ever pay for a bird and, when I do, it's always to get them out of a bad situation). The trick is going through the right motions: asking the right questions, checking vet references, meeting the person and his/her birds, and doing a home inspection because no owner of snakes who wants the free parrot for food or reseller could possible pass all the steps. The danger is not checking and that holds for whether you charge a rehoming fee or not. And, when you get a parrot from a good rescue, the vetting was already done and you get the records so, in reality, the adoption fee covers most of it plus you already had the bird quarantined, evaluated and, in some cases, even rehabilitated and switched to a healthier diet whereas, when you get a parrot from a breeder or a store, you have to vet it no matter, you have to start from scratch on diet, behavior, etc and you have no real idea of the bird's temperament so adopting is not only always cheaper in the long run, it's also more practical than buying retail. But I do agree wholeheartedly that parrots are expensive animals to keep as pets and the 'expense' covers more than just money!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Lizz » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 pm

To me if a bird made it to a rescue then it is safe. I would take one they say cannot be tamed but I would prefer to pay some jerk to rescue one that needs me.
Lizz
Conure

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:16 am

Yes, but rescues cannot provide personal attention or enough flight time so it's not an ideal situation for long term. Sanctuaries are another story, though...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tanya Stark » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:22 am

Hi Michael, First I would like to tell you how much we enjoy your newsletters . You are one very special person opening your heart and home to these creatures. This was a most eggcellent article on free birds. All of ours are rescues and the majority were free birds. We keep them because we do not want them to be "pass around birds" and they are my kids. Everyone rescued has had their story, owned by heroin addicts, owner threatened with eviction, owner just to old and infirm to care for them any longer. Living in this psittacine family has taught me greatly about their unique personalities and no 2 parrots are alike. Keep up the greyt work you do and scriches all around to your kids. Love and winghugs, Tanya and the Stark Flock :gray:
Tanya Stark
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: 1 B/G, 1 G/W, 1U2, 1 Goffins, 1CAG, 1 TAG, 1 BF Amazon, 1 Cherry Head Conure, 2 Nanday Conures, 1 Jenday Conure, 1 Tiel --all rescues

Postby Lizz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:58 am

Roaming craigslist, I have found that the ones who need the most are the highest priced because the owner wants to get rid of everything they bought for the bird. Rehoming means adopting a baby rather than causing the production of another.
Lizz
Conure

BF Amazon Myrtle

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments