Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Instructions for avatar pictures of your birds

Be familiar with the forum rules and check back for announcements. New collaborative videos discussion.

Re: Instructions for avatar pictures of your birds

Postby janetafloat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks for the ImageOptimizer tip Marie - it works!! Yay :danicing:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby ludite » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:46 am

Yup. The reason I must be having problems posting a pic is that I am a Mac user too - and like the other lady - I'm not going to the dark side either!!! I seem to be able to post pics easily through fb. . . . Pictures aside, is there any way I can like other peoples comments if I agree with them? and also - how do I find out if people have responded to my comments please - you can tell I'm very new to this, I'm asking so many daft questions :)
ludite
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Jardines

Postby Weka » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:18 am

Another Mac user here -- I had a VERY difficult time with uploading the avatar, as well. Even my husband who designs computer chips for a living was a bit baffled by it initially. We figured it out by trial and error, using the GIMP (which is an editing program akin to Photoshop but free and open source) and checking file size, compression, etc. The resolution is not the best, but it works for now. When Mr. Weka has some time, I'll try to see if he remembers exactly the steps for what we took, as I can't remember at the moment...

As to knowing if people have responded, it looks like you just have to remember to check the thread you posted. I don't see any email notification in place, but then I might be overlooking it, as well. No "like" feature, either. I suppose that's what Facebook is for. ;)

Best,

W
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Providing a forever home for Skeeter, an 11-year-old male red bellied. :redbelly:
Weka
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 pm

On the homepage click "View active topics" under the Parrot Wizard banner. You will see all recently replied to topics and the ones you're involved in will have a yellow circle.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby cml » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Michael wrote:On the homepage click "View active topics" under the Parrot Wizard banner. You will see all recently replied to topics and the ones you're involved in will have a yellow circle.

I never noticed that :P. Meh :).
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby GreenWing » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Michael wrote:On the homepage click "View active topics" under the Parrot Wizard banner. You will see all recently replied to topics and the ones you're involved in will have a yellow circle.

Booyakasha!

:lol:
Last edited by GreenWing on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby c_faith » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:48 am

I'm new here & trying to set up my avatar but I'm having the most difficult time. I have windows 7 & I'm using paint. This would be so much easier with photoshop most likely but I unfortunately don't have it on this computer.

I have tried resizing it to many different sizes & cropping it to 150 pixels but it's constantly either too small or the file is too big :?
c_faith
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Throated Conure

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Post the normal pic here and I can resize it for you if following the original instructions doesn't work.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GreenWing » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:09 pm

c_faith wrote:I'm new here & trying to set up my avatar but I'm having the most difficult time. I have windows 7 & I'm using paint. This would be so much easier with photoshop most likely but I unfortunately don't have it on this computer.

I have tried resizing it to many different sizes & cropping it to 150 pixels but it's constantly either too small or the file is too big :?

Sounds like you're in the right spots (photoshop/paint) but sometimes it's just easier to use photobucket. I just changed my avatar by logging in, uploading a photo to photobucket, then going to the photo itself, select DIRECT (link) to copy, and when you log into the Parrot Forum under "User Control Panel" to "Profile" to "Edit Avatar"... paste the direct link in the "off site" option. The dimensions should already be set.

Hope that helps.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby c_faith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks so much! I did it from photobucket & think it's working now :)
c_faith
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Throated Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Rules, Announcements, and Collaborative Videos