Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Toughest Age to Train a Parrot

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Article about the hardest age of parrot to train. You may be surprised. Tips on avoiding running into this problem.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Toughest Age to Train a Parrot

Postby GreenWing » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Great post!

Tiki is no longer a baby but a "teen," and I have to admit that she's now far easier to train as opposed to when she was a baby. She's also talking a LOT more.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby ReaGoerge » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:07 am

This was a great post, just a week ago I got a baby (hand reared thankfully) Senegal. I've been doing really well with him, he loves people and is picking up target training very well, but I was wondering about his nippiness. Whenever his on someone he tends to only be interested in "foraging" the person whether it's fingers or ears :P I had a hunch that it was just a baby curiosity thing so it was great to read that this is the case and it will hopefully wear off :D

Thanks!!
ReaGoerge
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:13 am

Very good article, Michael, I enjoyed reading it a lot.

ReaGoerge. This general nippiness is called beaking, it is the young birds major way of exploring its environment. Most of it will pass it due time all on it own, however, it will never go away completely as in addition to exploring its surroundings it is also the beginning of their preening behaviors which you do not want to discourage.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Tman007 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:46 am

Watching all your videos, reading your book,( more than once) and having your training perches I have found out taking it nice and slow gets great results. Even if you think you are not making progress, watch your parrot and you will see they are always thinking. My little gcc (Andi) I am teaching her to wavy. Since she is so small she uses her beak to step up so I can't use the razing of the foot to step up as getting her to wavy. So what I do is just lightly touch her foot and she lifts it up and I click and reward. And after two small training sessions she will just start to lift her foot of the perch. You just need to take things slow and easy. My galah just turned 1 on the 28th of June, and I just started to get him used to targeting, and we are working on the turn around. He still is learning to be sure footed. So I am tasking it easy on him and working on something that he can do right now. He see's me working with my other to and wants to come out and do it too. All I have to do is move the training perches and pick up the target stick and my Parrot Wizard clicker LOL and they just can't wait to start. One other thing food management, does work. What I do is give everyone fresh veggies in the morning and their pellets at night. I have done a lot of reading on food management and do right it works. It gives your parrot that little extra edge, when it comes to motivation. :gcc: :jenday: :galah:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:20 am

Actually, you are not doing food management because the term means to make an animal hungry so it would perform. What you are doing is 'value management' which is not the same thing. But you can't feed a too just veggies all day long, it would develop a protein deficiency.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments