Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Snuggle Hut for Birds

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Snuggle Hut for Birds

Postby r0ckinricky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:18 pm

what do you guys think of the Snuggle Hut for Birds? Ive noticed my bird switched from sleeping in the same spot on her perch to holding on of the ropes on her toys with one leg and her other leg on the side of the cage. it looks really uncomfortable for her and moving around alot more during the night. i was thinking about buying this to see you it would be better for her.http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12755378&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo
r0ckinricky
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: parakeet
Flight: No

Re: Snuggle Hut for Birds

Postby Andromeda » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Unfortunately there's not really a simple answer to your question as fabric huts and toys can be safe or they can be deadly. There are stories all over the internet of birds who have died from those huts but there are also stories of birds using them safely for their lifespan.

On the "deadly" side there are birds chewing on the fabric and then becoming entangled in the loose strings and breaking their necks or choking to death. Sometimes they don't die but they lose toes or wings. There are also stories of birds ingesting pieces of fabric which is usually deadly.

In fact one of the members here who has a green cheek conure recently took her bird to the vet and the vet discovered a blockage of fabric (from a rope perch) in its digestive system and said the bird was lucky to be alive because usually the only time you see that is in a necropsy once the bird has died from it.

On the "safe" side some birds have huts and don't ever chew on them or become entangled. My green cheek conure sleeps in a Happy Hut and he had one in his first home and possibly even the pet store. He is 7 now and I've never had a problem with him chewing on the fabric or doing anything other than just sleeping in it. However, I check it every single day for bald spots, loose fabric, strings, etc. because the reality is fabric huts will never be 100% safe and if I ever noticed signs he was chewing on it, I would remove it. Even still I can't be sure an accident won't happen but, as I said, he only seems to sleep in it and other than that does not spend time in it and as I check its condition daily I don't really worry about it too much. Hopefully it will not come back to haunt me in the future.

A possible half-way solution is an "avian hut" which is kind of like a little tent that hangs over a regular perch. It's still made of fabric but since your bird is perched on an actual perch instead of on fabric there is less of a risk of entanglement of the nails, toes, etc. Here are links to two:

Avian Haven

Bird Tent
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Postby janetafloat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 am

Why don't you try a platform for your bird? I was amazed to discover that birds don't always want to sit on a perch and if offered a flat surface will often choose it over a perch. My Sennie has slept on his platform since the day I put it in his cage and during the day it's well used too. Also in the UK we have these things called a Chube which is essentially a pet safe cardboard tube originally designed for rodents. However, they were discovered by the bird community and are a huge hit with the fids. They come in a variety of sizes so there's one for every bird. I have it attached to the top of the cage (inside) and Alfie loves playing in it, chewing it and resting in it. I think they're a really good, safe alternative to a happy hut.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby r0ckinricky » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 pm

thatnk you for the rersponce Andromeda ill look into that hut and janeta do you got a picture or a link anywhere to what the platform looks like. thanks for the help
r0ckinricky
Parrotlet

Postby marie83 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

I did use one, never had a problem at all.
I threw it away a couple of months ago or so because I was potentially treating them for giardia, I did have a replacement but I decided to try going without it and Ollie was fine so I never got round to putting the replacement in.
Funny thing is the last few days I'm having hormonal behaviours displayed which I have never seen in him before, its supposed to be the other way round!
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby janetafloat » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 am

http://www.pine4parrots.co.uk/Pages/TOYS.aspx

Both the platform and the Chube are about half way down this page. The platform is easy to make...I made one myself for Alfie

:senegal:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby Strawfrawg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 am

Marvin prefers to be inside something for sleep so I went with a smaller version of something like this that I found at a small pet shop. It was in the rodent section. I suspended it from the top of the cage.
Attachments
pPETS-12787630t300x300.jpg
pPETS-12787630t300x300.jpg (20.5 KiB) Viewed 15353 times
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Maria » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 am

Strawfrawg wrote:Marvin prefers to be inside something for sleep so I went with a smaller version of something like this that I found at a small pet shop. It was in the rodent section. I suspended it from the top of the cage.

This is terrific and interesting. Please show a picture of how you suspended it from the top of the cage. It is also a great alternative. I had bought this exact thing from Petco, because I was actually planning on using it to make a foraging toy! But I would like to see clearly, at all angles if you can get pictures all around it, of how it's hung in the cage, for ideas to use as a sleep/cuddle in it alternative as well! :swaying:
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Postby Maria » Wed May 01, 2013 1:31 pm

was actually looking again at mine yesterday when I got home from work. It is too small for my parrot really to sleep in lol. So I will therefore, indeed use it as planned, to make a foraging toy, hanging in the cage :-)
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Postby r0ckinricky » Sat May 11, 2013 8:43 am

thanks for the response. but how do you deal with when the poop in it? how often do you have to clean it?
r0ckinricky
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY