Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cape Parrot Name Ideas

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Which names do you like best? (pick 2)

Ziz
8%
Zix
6%
Zar
6%
Zor
6%
Zuce
8%
Zeon
14%
Fizz
6%
Razu
17%
Saturn
3%
Truman
28%

Total votes : 36

Cape Parrot Name Ideas

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:28 pm

Since it was brought up, no I have not picked a name or even made much of a list of names to work from for the upcoming parrot. I'll list some critical criteria here and anyone that would like to contribute name ideas is welcome to do so. Then when I have the bird, I'll go through the list of my and your ideas and pick the most appropriate name.

Some criteria include:
-Shouldn't be a common human name
-Must be reasonably short (2-6 letters, 4 being ideal)
-Must be easy to pronounce quickly
-Must not sound like or rhyme with Kili
-Must be interesting and original
-Should produce little or no results if searched on google/youtube
-Would be nice if it exemplifies the size and beauty of Cape Parrot

Since I expect to blog extensively and showcase this Cape Parrot, the name must be so original that people will easily remember the name and be able to find the bird online. I didn't plan this but this is just how it worked out with "Kili." The name basically fits all the above criteria so it is important for me to find such a name again for the new bird. Ideally there should be no other pet or parrot with the same name, however, it's ok if there are a few unrelated videos of such that wouldn't interfere.

The reason I am strongly against using human names for pets (besides the lack of uniqueness) is that it can sound really weird out of context. Let's say you have a parrot named John and a visitor named Paul. Someone overhears you saying "so John was being really bad and bit Paul repeatedly and wouldn't let go. I had to get John off of Paul and then put him in his cage for a timeout." That would be kind of strange. So yeah, no human names. Fictional characters and objects are welcome though. Right now I just want to brainstorm an extensive list and then once I know the sex and personality of the bird I'll be able to narrow it down. So anyone with ideas, shoot away. The only ideas I've had so far are:

Zeus
Zuce
Milo
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Cape Parrot Name Ideas

Postby kimbo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:44 pm

paco ?
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Postby lzver » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:53 pm

If I get any more birds down the road, I always thought Canon or Kodak would make cute names for a bird .... when they pin their eyes in and out they remind me of a camera zooming in and out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Oh! I love naming them! Here are some of my favorites. I'll put meanings on the ones I know.

Jasper -reddish brown gemstone
Sputnik- little traveler (I love this for a bird. It's so cute and the meaning rocks!)
Teagun - little poet
Tierney - implies lord of the household
Aderyn - a bird
Icarus - greek mythology
Loki - Nordic Trickster God
Horus - Bird headed Sky God in Egyptian Mythology
Floyd- Grey Haired

I also really like Thor but there is a unCape on the internet named Thor already. I also like Zeus and Milo.
I'll add more if I think of any.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Pchela, I like a lot of the ones you mentioned but many of them don't come off the tongue as easily as previous names I've used like Duke, Kili, and Spock. I yell "Kili" probably no less than 50 times a day if not more... so I am eternally grateful it's an easy to say name. I like Icarus but I'm pretty sure I've seen many parrots named that.
Michael
Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:31 pm

In family with Kili might be Aragorn or Gandalf but you'd get too many hits with that. Do you know the sex?

More Tolkien: Theoden, Smaug, Shadowfax, Fangorn, Anduin, Anduril
Better Tolkein: Gwaihir
Beowulf
Ahab
Artemis
Lancelot
Merlin
Montezuma
Seabiscuit
Freyr/Freya

An african name?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:51 pm

Hey guys, just thought of a good one. What do you all think of "Fizz"?

Remember that I'm trying to differentiate and make this parrot's name really stand out and be easy to remember for casual viewers that want to find it again. Fizz sounds cool, can go Fiz or Fizz. The "z" is pretty original as there aren't many names with Zs in them. Also cute to call "Fizzie" as a nickname. The only drawback is that it starts with a softer sound so it is hard to accentuate it and don't forget I recall my birds by their name. Anyway, just an example of the kind of name that tops my list because it meets all of my desired "criteria." So most likely I'm looking for a cool sounding unique name idea rather than a character although I'd still consider. Thanks for ideas and let's keep this list growing. Narrowing down is something I'll have plenty of time to do.

I really like Thor and enjoy all of his videos and that's the kind of name I'm looking for. So let's see what else we can come up with. The mythical names are nice but are more likely to be in use, repeated, or hard to find. So something never before used is much better for my purposes of making a role model parrot. If I were just naming privately, Zeus, Thor, and Icarus are definitely some favorites ;)
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:56 pm

If you like the z sound but want a harder beginning, Blaise could be nice. Or spell it Blaze. I also like Giles (from Buffy). Jude from the song. Jax or Dax are nice. Hermes has the z sound and is from Greek mythology. There's always Hal from 2001. I'll keep 'em comin' if I think of any more.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Zantac!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How about Zody? It's astronomerese for zodiacal light.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Titanius » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Haha my bird's name is Jasper :thumbsup: Hmm if I had to throw a random name out there it'd be Gully.
Titanius
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Next

Return to General & Off Topic