Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Train Parrot the Wave Trick - Truman Cape Parrot

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: How to Train Parrot the Wave Trick - Truman Cape Parrot

Postby janetafloat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:49 pm

This is SOOO not working with my 'tiel! If I get my finger up close enough to him to make him start to step up he's got hold of my finger with his beak (gently) and has one foot already on me before I can withdraw it. I just can't get enough of a gap in there to withdraw and treat. When I try and pull my finger back more away from him he's teetering as far forward as he can to get to my finger with his beak. If I pull back even more he's just running back and forth on the perch trying to do what I'm asking because he's clearly under the impression I want him to step up. He's trying so hard! I've had to stop before we both get frustrated.

He obviously started getting hold of my finger to stop me pulling back, because he thinks what I'm rewarding him for is putting one foot on my finger, and unfortunately he's just faster than I am.

Any suggestions please?? :?
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:06 pm

It's really really hard to teach budgies and cockatiels to wave because they're not used to holding their feet up high (and they don't eat with them). It took a month of hard patient work to teach it to a budgie. The technique is similar but takes a lot of work. Turn around and go through tube are easier tricks to teach a budgie.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby janetafloat » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Okay, thanks for the response Michael, I'll keep at it :)
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Postby janetafloat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:39 pm

Well, what do you know....I went to carry on working on the wave thing in my 'tiel's training session this morning and he just did, first time, as soon as I gave the command!! And he's done it every time since. Only third day of training (on the wave) and yesterday I couldn't see any sign that he understood what I was asking.....as I said in my message yesterday he just kept trying to step onto my finger. Blow me down. I'm amazed.
Yay Scout! :danicing:
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Postby marie83 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:49 pm

janetafloat wrote:Well, what do you know....I went to carry on working on the wave thing in my 'tiel's training session this morning and he just did, first time, as soon as I gave the command!! And he's done it every time since. Only third day of training (on the wave) and yesterday I couldn't see any sign that he understood what I was asking.....as I said in my message yesterday he just kept trying to step onto my finger. Blow me down. I'm amazed.
Yay Scout! :danicing:

I've found animals have a way of doing stuff like this lol and proving you wrong.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Jnadon2007 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:49 am

It took 20 min for my 11 week old Sun Conure "Sunny" to wave even on just the word "hello". Sunny is on his perch waiting to learn something new right now and is even more interested in my hand and target training signals.
Ps and Cheer my other Sun Conure is picking it up just by watching!!
Thanks bro
Jnadon2007
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conures, Green Cheek Conures

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments