Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Quaker flying ban in Ohio?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Quaker flying ban in Ohio?

Postby Aloysius » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

I live in Ohio (as you can probably deduce from the title) and am curious about the law which says you must have your Quaker parrot clipped to own it. I couldn't find the exact wording of the law anywhere, so I don't know how much I should clip my Quaker's wings. Does anyone know about that law? Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:
:monk:Shiloh
Aloysius(Me)
Aloysius
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: Quaker flying ban in Ohio?

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 pm

wow i looked up the law it was passed in 96. it says you have to clip to own a quaker. i would have to move.when i adopted my dog the city i live in was trying to pass a law banning pitbulls so the shelter i adopted from fixed her papers so her liscense just said shepard mix to prevent them coming to drag her out of my home to put her down. very sad when laws hurt responsible pet owners.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm usually a law abiding citizen but.....

Yes I would have to move or just rethink owning a quaker, I couldn't possibly disable a bird. That said you already have yours. I cannot tell you to break the law as there is a chance that your bird could be seized if it was found to be flighted. Do people actually go around checking these things though? Do you know of people (even those you know well) who may report you? What about the vet? Do you have neighbours who may be unhappy with the noise which may arouse suspicion? Are there any cases of people being prosecuted for having flighted quakers? Could you get away with a very very light trim so the bird can still fly as near to normally as possible?

What a bas***d you have to make such a choice :(
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Aloysius » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:02 pm

marie83 wrote: Could you get away with a very very light trim so the bird can still fly as near to normally as possible?

That's what I was thinking marie. Next time I go to the Parrot breeder I got my parrot from I'm going to ask them about that. Shiloh enjoys flying and really, it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference whether she's clipped or not. She could still fly out a window (If we left them open without a screen, which we don't). I would have to do the trim myself though, because I doubt the bird breeders would do something like that. :roll:
:monk:Shiloh
Aloysius(Me)
Aloysius
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Quaker

Postby Nimb » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:28 pm

Rule 901:5-42-01 | Designation of destructive or dangerously harmful plant pests.
Ohio Administrative Code /901:5 /Chapter 901:5-42 | Destructive or Dangerously Harmful Plant Pests

Effective:October 21, 2019Promulgated Under:119.03PDF:Download Authenticated PDF
(A) For the purposes of Chapter 927. of the Revised Code and as provided for in division (A) of section 927.70 of the Revised Code, the director of agriculture hereby designates as destructive or dangerously harmful plant pests the following:

(1) Raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides);

(2) Monk parakeet (Miopsitta monachus); and

(3) Blacktail prairie dog (Cynomys ludovicianus).

(B) Except as provided in paragraph (C) of this rule, no person shall knowingly permit any plant pest designated as destructive or dangerously harmful in paragraph (A) of this rule to exist in or on his premises or infest any article or commodity in his possession.

(C) An individual may possess a plant pest designated in paragraph (A) of this rule under the following circumstances:

(1) Monk parakeets which have had their wings clipped and maintained in such condition or are otherwise incapable of free flight;

(2) Blacktail prairie dogs which have been sterilized or are incapable of producing offspring; or,

(3) When authorized by the director of agriculture after determining that the possession of pest designated in this rule will not pose undue risk of escape or of procreation.

(D) Whenever the director or his authorized representative finds any article or commodity to be infested or has reason to believe it to be infested, or finds that a pest exists on any premises, or is in transit in this state, he may:

(1) Upon giving notice to the owner or his agent in possession thereof, seize, quarantine, treat, or otherwise dispose of such pest, article, or commodity in such manner as he determines necessary to suppress, control, eradicate, or to prevent or retard the spread of a pest;

(2) In the event the owner or his agent refuses to allow the director or his designee access to the premises, order such owner or agent to so treat or otherwise dispose of the pest, article, or commodity.

(E) If the owner or person in charge of a premise refuses or neglects to carry out the orders of the director within seven days after receiving written notice, the director may treat the premises; or apply any other preventive or remedial measure which he determines necessary. The expense of any such preventive or remedial measures shall be assessed, collected, and enforced, as taxes are assessed, collected, and enforced, against the premises upon which such expense was incurred. The amount of such expense when collected shall be paid to the director and by him deposited with the treasurer of state.
Supplemental Information
Authorized By: 927.52
Amplifies: 927.69, 927.70
Five Year Review Date: 10/21/2024
Prior Effective Dates: 7/27/1991, 9/15/1995
Nimb
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, parakeets

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:05 am

Yes, the only way you can keep quakers in Ohio is if you deprive them of flight... so sad and unfair.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Indoor Freeflight