Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flight Profile Question

Be familiar with the forum rules and check back for announcements. New collaborative videos discussion.

Flight Profile Question

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:17 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that I added a question about flight in the profile. In this day and age you can no longer assume that everyone's parrot is clipped and some answers to questions may vary depending on if the bird is flighted or not. So, I added a profile field for that and it will show up not only in the user's profile but also under their avatar and other data in forum posts.

All new members will be required to answer this question but for existing members, I would like to ask you to go back to your profile by clicking User Control Panel, then going to the Profile tab, and scrolling down to the very end and marking if your bird(s) are flighted or clipped. Initially I was going to set the answers as clipped/flighted but then I realized there could be some in between cases of clipped birds flying and unclipped birds not flying so I decided to just leave the answer at yes/no. If your bird actively flies around to get from place to place, pick yes and if it is clipped and/or does not fly around then pick no.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Flight Profile Question

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:19 am

What if it changes from bird to bird?
I mean I have flighted birds who fly and a clipped bird who can't....
I'll go with the majority I guess (flight), but it's really more of a mix ;)

Edit: I went to select it and I did see you wrote "if a majority"...
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Re: Flight Profile Question

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:39 am

Yeah, I was thinking of you when I wrote that ;) cause I know some of yours are clipped but most fly.

In my case neither bird has all feathers yet (Kili is really close though) and Duke has like 3 primaries on each side but he flight recalls and he flies back to his cage but he always misses it and ends up on the floor :?

But he does fly by his own will across the room to get there so I think of him as more flighted than not.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Forum Rules, Announcements, and Collaborative Videos