Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Achievement Unlocked: TOPS muffins :) *UPDATE*

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Achievement Unlocked: TOPS muffins :) *UPDATE*

Postby Grey_Moon » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi guys--just finished freezing the extra ^^ annnd they're a hit :thumbsup:

I'm actually pretty excited about this because I love TOPS pellets but Jacko was crunching them to dust trying to eat them and was losing weight. Sooo it finally dawned on me---heeeyyyy Imma make birdie bread with them (I made muffins and cut them in half--she gets half a muffin a meal so its frozen in portions and easy).

I sorta threw a recipe together based off instructions I found for Harrison's Bird Bread but here's what I used (btw you can totally use the regular size pellets--I just had the crumplets on hand):

Half a pound of Totally Organics Crumplets 'flour' (don't worry about trying to make it really fine)
1 & 1/2 cup water/juice (I used orange juice)
1 teaspoon oil (palm oil or coconut would be great---I used olive for the trial run)
2 large eggs (beaten---you could add crushed shell if you wanted but I didn't this time)

Optional (I added these but you can choose not to or add other things)

2 heaping tablespoons nut butter (I used peanut butter this time---but I'll use almond etc later)
1 small banana blended into the juice

Mix everything together in a bowl (you may have to add a little more water/juice at this point--I originally put in 1 cup of juice then added 1/2 cup at this point---the batter is thick)
Grease a pan and preheat to about 350 F and then spoon your batter into the pan and put it in for about 25-30 mins.
Let it cool and serve as you need.

It makes really dense moist birdie muffins as there's no baking powder--I find this good as its easy for them to eat. They tend to come out really soft (but nothing sticks to the toothpick) and then harden juuust enough on the outside to be easily handled).

I'll be making a similar birdie veggie loaf recipe with a sweet potato/yam and carrot base soon so I'll post that up when I try it :)
Last edited by Grey_Moon on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Achievement Unlocked: TOPS muffins :)

Postby Zooey » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I've been looking for a good one because I had to cope with a recipe that smelled bad, heated unevenly, and broke easily. Unfortunately, that was the best recipe I could find.
Thank you so much!
Can you put up pictures of it?
They're not your whole life, but they make your life whole.
Perapumpernickelle/Perry :budgie2:
Duke :budgie2:
Zooey
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar

Postby Grey_Moon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Unfortunately now they're all frozen-looking so not the best example---but I'm due to make another batch (and the veggie loaf) in about two weeks when these run out (and I next get paid -_- )

When I do, I'll be sure to post the final recipe for both and pics of the outcome :)

Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Postby terri » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:54 pm

I was thinking about your post today and it got me thinking.My toos and macaw are pickier eaters.I read so much on their diets [its a little overwhelming] I wanted to try bean mixes.Which they probably will throw away. But they all like birdie bread . Im going to try incorperating all new stuff in there.Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup:
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Re: Achievement Unlocked: TOPS muffins :) *UPDATE*

Postby Grey_Moon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:27 am

Made the veggie/fruit loaf last night---will post pics of both it and one of Jacko's TOPS muffins as soon as my partner gets home from work tonight (forgot the pics were on his phone :lol: ).
Its a bit messier than the muffins and takes a bit more TLC to store---but a big hit (coming from a TAG who WILL NOT eat greens) :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I cannot be as precise as I was with the muffin recipe---because I sorta winged it.
So to make Parrot Shepherd's Pie this your grocery list must be:

1 (or more) orange veggies---squash, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, yams...
2 (or more) dark leafy greens---arugula, dandelion, spinach, kale, collard greens...
2 (or more) veggies---broccoli, bok choy, peppers, cauliflower, peas...
2 (or more) fruits---bananas, papaya, mango, berries....

Once everything has been peeled and washed here's what you do:

Step 1 is to prep your orange veggies, as these will form your base. Ideally you want a starchy easily mashed veggie (I used sweet potatoes)---mash these and keep them warm.

Step 2 is to chop and blend/process all your greens, veggies and fruits into a puree

Step 3 add 1 teaspoon oil of your choice (I recommend coconut as its an excellent anti-viral, I'm not crazy about palm oil as its claim to fame is beta-carotene at the price of a high amount of staturated fat

Step 4 Scramble whole eggs, add to puree and whisk to blend evenly (you can also try without)

Step 5 Add puree to mashed orange veggies, mix evenly.

Step 6 Grease pans and add mix to pans, put into preheated oven at 350 F for an hour, let stand for a while after it comes out

Step 7 (the messy part!!) Cut pie in portion sizes and place portions spaced out on a plate (it has the consistency of shepherd's pie etc so is mushy), then freeze.

Step 8 Remove plates (the portions should be frozen nicely and easy to handle) and place portions into bags as desired--then return to freezer until needed.

This loaf comes out a little lumpy (unless you manage to make the mashed veggies very smooth) but the tricky ingredients with picky parrots (the greens) are nice and smooth so the birds don't even know they're eating them. Its not a handsome looking pie for sure, but its nutritious and easily fed---plus the birds like it. $20 worth of produce should give you easily a month's worth--so make sure you've got the freezer space.

My ingredient list was: sweet potato, papaya, banana, kale, arugula (couldn't find collard greens this time :( ), broccoli and bok choy.
Be sure to vary the ingredients each time you make it---avoid often giving spinach etc due to high oxalic acid for example.

For more info I *highly* suggest the yahoo group feedingfeathers (has great nutritional info and Shauna's mash is really helpful---as is Shauna). As I often like to be holistic and use food as medicine (Jacko for example has digestive issues so I used papaya and banana) etc I would also point you towards holisticbirds.

Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Does it stink?
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Zooey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:13 pm

what kind of pan? A muffin pan or a bread loaf pan or a cake pan or a brownie pan or a pie tin? I've got them all, so it's a little confusing.
Zooey
Conure

Postby Grey_Moon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:50 am

Sorry all, been under the weather :(

Cage Cleaner---nope I don't think it stinks...just smells like root veggies. Like that sort of turnip/carrot mash smell common on Thanksgiving tables.

Zooey--anything works, pie, muffin, loaf pan...anything. The only difference will be how much cutting or portioning you want/need to do.

Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Postby Zooey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:40 pm

THANK YOU so much. I used the brownie pan. My sister was about to eat one because she didn't know it was for the birds. It smeels great, and my budgies absolutely love it. I gave them a piece in the morning, and after summer school they demanded more.
Zooey
Conure

Postby hooligan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:58 pm

I made these last week, presented them to Scrubby, and she turned her snobbish little nose up at them.

I immediately understood how my mother felt every time I said I wasn't hungry when it was dinner time.

Just now, I reheated one of the portions I froze, and she is chowing down like a champ! I made a tray of bird brownies and then cut those down into tiny GCC-sized brownieletts. Once she figured out they were for eating and not destroying, she was into them :D
hooligan
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure (Cinnamon Turquoise)
Flight: No

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet