Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What's a Flighted Parrot like?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

What's a Flighted Parrot like?

Postby Frozone » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:18 pm

I just want to know what a flight parrot is like as I'll probably be getting an unclipped parrot, and I guarantee I'll never clip it if I can manage. I'm wondering what materials are toxic to them, if they're really nosy and curious, what kind of hiding spots they'll go for, what they'll tear up quickly, how to redirect their attention etc. etc.
Frozone
Parakeet

Flight: Yes

Re: What's a Flighted Parrot like?

Postby cml » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Short answer, HAPPY!

There are stuff to consider with flighted parrots, but really, those things should be the same concerns you prepare for with a clipped parrot; for example teflon cookware is lethal to parrots, regardless whether its flighted or not.

A good idea is to get blinds for the windows, otherwise they may crash into them!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 pm

A flighted parrot is a beautiful sight. And yes they are happier than non flighted. I have one of each.

Consider what a two year old child can get in to. Parrots can get into things from above. They like to chew on things. Destroy is there mission. Even computers are fun.

With all that Myrtle has done I would never clip her wings. She came clipped. As soon as they grew out her personality blossomed. I just wish Rambo could fly. He is missing so much fun.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Indoor Freeflight