Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Basics of Parrot Taming and Training - Complete Guide

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:06 am

Use a clicker and click right as it is about to touch the stick. This distracts it for a moment while you pull the stick away and bring forth a treat. They learn to just touch it rather than play with it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Kwayzu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 am

qwertyuiop
Last edited by Kwayzu on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwayzu

Postby DanielA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Well, I'm still on the target training and the force/reconcile to take my Indy out. :? :roll:
DanielA
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebirds

Postby Luqman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 am

Hello Michael
Whenever I approach my parrot's cage it always gets angry and worst if I open the cage and put my hand forward; it tries to bite me... I've read in an article that if your parrot gets aggressive upon approach to cage is because it doesn't want you in his territory as there isn't yet trust between us.
But when it has gotten out of his cage its aggression's over and lets u pet him
Can u give me a solution to that problem plz
Luqman
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Echo Parakeet
Flight: No

Postby loops and fruits » Tue May 29, 2012 7:10 pm

hey michael i have 2 lovebirds that are very scared. they are a couple and their eggs hatched today. ive been trying very hard to train them and they just keep going crazy and they dont listen to me. the girl sometimes cooperates but the guy then starts screeeching and she starts to be crazy. im just wondering if the baby lovebirds will have any affects to the older lovebirds.
loops and fruits
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: fischer lovebirds

Postby SenegalLove » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:44 pm

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I just got a baby Senegal and she is scared of me. I messed up by letting her come out on her own a few times and she stepped up on a perch to go back in but I will start doing this. She was a hand fed baby but freaks out when I go in her cage for anything, is it still okay to use the force out method or should I go with the target method? She is 3 months old. Thanks!
SenegalLove
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, cockatiels

Postby Jowiee » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:06 pm

:macaw: ive had a blue and gold macaw for about 2 months..the person i got it from said it was a 6 year old female...she has been rehome 3 times from what i know..i can hand feed her..but she doesnt let me touch her..either she runs away or snaps..i need help!!
Jowiee
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw

Postby cml » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Jowiee wrote::macaw: ive had a blue and gold macaw for about 2 months..the person i got it from said it was a 6 year old female...she has been rehome 3 times from what i know..i can hand feed her..but she doesnt let me touch her..either she runs away or snaps..i need help!!

Work with basic taming, dont be deterred - even if you can only make small progress everyday. Move your hands closer and closer and slowly work on winning the birds trust and moving its comfort zone to you touching it!
Read through michael's article on basic training, its a great resource!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby salm1115 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

ive had my budgies Heaven and Faith for 4 months now and i am ready to start taming and training them and i hope this helps, Heaven may be easiest to tame cuz i think she /he is younger than Faith im not sure of their sex yet Faith is agressive and kinda mean im wondering should i start with Faith first since she/he may be the oldest but i dont know what treats Faith like i tried offering fruits and veggies and millet but no success Heaven just started to eat the millet for the first time and she/he loved it so i know what Heaven treat will be what should i do andwho should i start with first :budgie:
salm1115
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby Cockatielsongs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:35 am

salm1115 wrote:ive had my budgies Heaven and Faith for 4 months now and i am ready to start taming and training them and i hope this helps, Heaven may be easiest to tame cuz i think she /he is younger than Faith im not sure of their sex yet Faith is agressive and kinda mean im wondering should i start with Faith first since she/he may be the oldest but i dont know what treats Faith like i tried offering fruits and veggies and millet but no success Heaven just started to eat the millet for the first time and she/he loved it so i know what Heaven treat will be what should i do andwho should i start with first :budgie:

Perhaps you should train Heaven infront of Faith so Faith will see how much Heaven is enjoying interacting with you and she will realize you aren't a threat and will co operate with you.
Goodluck! :thumbsup:
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo

PreviousNext

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments