Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

BLACK OIL SUN FLOWER SEEDS QUESTION(S)

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

BLACK OIL SUN FLOWER SEEDS QUESTION(S)

Postby Maria » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:37 am

Are black oil sun flower seeds safe for parrots?

At Family Dollar they carry a large bag of these for only about 4 or 5 dollars, labeled for "wild birds". (People buy them for outside bird feeders). The ingredients say "Black Oil Sunflower Seeds", AND THAT IS ALL THE INGREDIENTS SAY.

Next to that they also have a bag of assorted bird seeds which the labeling reflects is for inside birds, "cockatoos", "cockatiels", "parrots" - - - - When I look at the ingredients listing on this bag, I am appalled and shocked to read a forbidden ingredient for birds, "Salt". Salt is not healthy for birds; they should not be given anything with salt in it or on it. Furthermore, if something is containing an extremely minimal amount of salt, very sparingly, and only if salt is listed after the 5th ingredient on the ingredients listing on the product packaging.

There are different types of sun flower seeds. "Black Oil Sunflower Seeds" are indeed used for feeding outside birds. The color of the shells on these is totally black, with no white striping on them. Then there are another kind of sun flower seeds which is the more familiar look, black with some white stripes on them, which are also used for inside birds bought at "Parrot Shops". I don't know what "kind" these are called. The parrot shop near me does not carry "black oil sunflower seeds".

QUESTION: Being that there are different "kinds" of sunflower seeds, are the "black oil sunflower seeds" safe for our parrots?
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Re: BLACK OIL SUN FLOWER SEEDS QUESTION(S)

Postby Shelby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:00 pm

I am not sure. I think your best bet is to ask your avian vet. If you do, please let us know what they say! I am interested in their reply.
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet

Postby Maria » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Michael should probably know the answer to this question lol

hmmmm ..... michael where are you?

all please reply with any knowledge you have about this! :D
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Postby lwis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:59 pm

I believe black oil sunflower seeds are just as safe for birds as the more familiar striped ones. In saying that, Amazons tend to be prone to fatty liver disease and obesity, and should not be fed a high fat diet. All sunflower seeds (most seeds and nuts, in fact) are high in fat and should be fed very sparingly to your bird. Another option, if you wish to feed your bird seeds in addition to its primary diet, is to sprout them. Sprouting reduces the fat content and increases the enzymes and vitamins available to your bird.
lwis
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Naurthon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:27 pm

The all-black sunflower seeds, called oilseed, have a higher oil content than the black-and-white striped sunflower seeds, called non-oilseed or confectionary sunflower seeds.

http://www.sunflowernsa.com/all-about/faq/#15

Safflower seeds have a lower fat content than sunflower seeds and may be a good alternative to sunflower seeds for your birds.

http://skipthepie.org/nut-and-seed-products/seeds-sunflower-seed-kernels-oil-roasted-without-salt/compared-to/seeds-safflower-seed-kernels-dried/
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey

Postby gabbagabbawill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:05 am

Sunflower seeds of any kind are not a good option for a primary diet of a pet bird. The black oil sunflower seeds are put in feeders for wild birds because they have a more bitter taste that (supposedly) turns away squirrels and other rodents. While it would be ok as a treat or training food, I would find a more appropriate daily diet for your bird.
gabbagabbawill
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Jello - Sun Conure - DOH 6/4/11

Postby Maria » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Exactly.

For a daily, routine diet, I do not feed my parrot seeds or nuts of any kind (any kind of sunflower seeds included). They are used sparingly as treats, and just a tiny bit of their nutrition, as they do need just a tiny bit of fat in their diet.

BUT I'm just looking for a cheaper way to buy and have them, besides the parrot shop.

I like the fact to find out from here that the white striped sunflower seeds have less oil than the all black sunflower seeds (black oil sunflower seeds). SO THEN - it is the "white striped" ones that I will stay for, and would look to buy them in bulk elsewhere, instead of the parrot shop. Can ya'll recommend where to buy these? Plus the parrot shop near me sells there's mixed with other little things in it which my parrot does not like, and does not eat; he throws them aside/out of the bowl, etc., and he only eats the white striped sun flower seeds out of this mixture.

So does Petco and/or Petsmart carry the white striped sunflower seeds for inside parrots which are pure, no salt, not roasted or cooked, but raw? Healthy and safe for parrots? Does Petco/Petsmart also carry the Sawflower seeds for parrots in bulk? There's got to be places these types of seeds for parrots can be gotten cheaper besides the parrot shop. A friend who had a parrot, (now lives in another state, out of touch), from when we were growing up, I'd always seen her give her bird the white striped sun flower seeds. Now I want to know where to get them :D I don't want to be ordering online, just want to be able to go to local store and pick some up. Thanks . . . . .

Sawflower seeds are indeed a good approach too, and I alternate with both as treats, sparingly, as well as almonds and walnuts. Almonds have good protein in them too.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:05 am

gl
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby gabbagabbawill » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Cage Cleaner wrote:Interestingly enough, the first ingredient in Harrison's High Potency is actually Sunflower seeds.

That is interesting, however, high potency isn't meant to be fed over a bird's lifetime... It seems to be what Harrison's wants you to use as a "starter" food before you put a bird on their lifetime diet.

Also, back to what the OP was talking about, I was in Kroger last night and saw a 5 lb bag of hulled sunflower seeds for about $8.00. If you consider that you should only feed your bird sunflower seeds as a treat or for training, which would amount to a few grams a day, this would last you about 2.5 years.

Personally, I would not buy these products that are for wild birds for my pet parrot. I do not think the quality control on them is that good, and freshness is probably not as good either. This leaves an opportunity for the possibility of mold and bacteria to set in. I'd rather stick to high quality pet grade diets for my bird than take a chance with cheaper foods in bulk.
gabbagabbawill
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Jello - Sun Conure - DOH 6/4/11

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet