Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

JJ is only "partly" flighted (if that's possible.)

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

JJ is only "partly" flighted (if that's possible.)

Postby Vicki5280 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:07 am

JJ is only a few months old. About three weeks ago, the owner of the store clipped her despite my asking her not to. She said that she couldn't have her flying around the store with the big windows, etc etc. I understood her reasons for safety at the store, but when I opposed her plans to clip her a second time, she agreed to my request not to do it.

However, now I have JJ at home and I have some questions. She actually does a pretty good job flying, especially if she has some height to begin with. She seems to have good control of where she's going and makes nice tight turns and soft landings, but she'll frequently fly down from somewhere and be unable to fly back up. She flew down from the kitchen counter this morning to poop and tried to fly back up several times, but couldn't gain the loft (or whatever the correct word is) that she needed to get back up. I watched her turn around and walk back to where she had room to get the altitude she needed, but because of her clip, she couldn't - she was only able to get about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. I almost cried for her, and was terribly torn as to whether I should help her or not. She ended up turning around and flying to me, I was sitting down and at a level she could reach. I praised her with tremendous enthusiasm and took her to the counter. I want her to retain her independence and confidence, and I REALLY don't want her to stop flying - I'm guessing that whatever flying she's doing now will only help her flying when she molts and gets her full flight feathers back. I know she's a smart little cookie, and if she's given time and resources she'll solve whatever problems she runs up against. I just want to make sure I'm not inadvertently doing something to mess her up. If she were fully flighted, it wouldn't be a question, and if she were fully clipped it wouldn't be a question, but since she's neither, I need other opinions.

Am I doing the right thing? Is there something more I should be doing? She's my first baby bird and I really don't want to get off on the wrong foot with her. Thanks all!!
Bucky - Quaker :monk:
JJ - Turquoise GCC Image
Vicki - Me! :dancing2:
Vicki5280
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker, Greencheek Conure, Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: JJ is only "partly" flighted (if that's possible.)

Postby NuItch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:58 am

There is a procedure that my vet perform but they only normally do it when wings have been overclipped and the bird is crashing and hurting itself.
It may seem a bit of an extreme measure to take in the circumstance but it is an option none the less
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=180547868655167
I personally wouldn't have it done unless my bird was hurting himself but I know someone who had it done to regain flight and they just raved about it.
One of my birds is clipped and I practise flight training with him everyday to maintain his muscles until his wings grow back in, he started out jumping and now he fly's a few feet.
He's not afraid to take flight even though he doesn't make it that far but practicing with him everyday has help build his confidence so his muscles will be nice and strong when his flight feathers come back and he won't be funny about flying.
Hopefully I am doing the right thing but I have never obtained advice on this so I can't be sure.
NuItch
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: JJ is only "partly" flighted (if that's possible.)

Postby kaylayuh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:50 am

All of my birds have come to me clipped and so far none of them have had issues with flying once their primaries grow back in. My GCC is currently clipped since he was just acquired from the rescue a little over a month ago, but he still flies to me occasionally.

That said, I really don't think helping her is going to hurt her ability to fly in the long term. No Name, one of my budgies, just grew in his primaries completely over the past couple of days. Prior to being able to fly, if he were stuck on the floor and trying to get somewhere higher, I'd go over and help him back up. Over the past few days, he's been doing laps around the room along with Pigpen, another budgie.

Cheney Bird, my GCC, flies to me if he really wants my attention. He occasionally flaps his wings but will only truly fly if he's trying to get to me. I'm hoping that when his primaries return, he'll fly just like the rest of them.

All in all, if she looks like she's struggling to get somewhere and you can assist her, I say do it. I don't think she'll stop flying because of it.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Return to Indoor Freeflight