Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Forum Youtube Channel Idea

A place for forum members to participate in collaborative video projects about parrots for the web.

Re: Parrot Forum Youtube Channel Idea

Postby Rueae » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:20 am

I can try my best at being a writer. :P
Once I get a parrot I'll contribute in the form of videos, as well. :D
A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:47 am

I could supply pictures if you were doing a slideshow type video like Michael said about the parrots near the Christmas tree. My camera doesn't take great video (it's just a digital camera). It's too bad Pele's screeching is too much for the microphone on my camera, a video of her screeching would be great if we did a "Just how loud are parrots? Are you prepared to handle it?" video. :lol:

If we are going to get this idea up and running, my suggestion is that there should be a place on the forum (possibly for members only) where the director (or whomever) can keep members in the loop about what they're looking for for the videos. That way people like me can keep an eye on the thread and contribute where I can. Thoughts?
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby Rueae » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:39 pm

I think that's a great idea, if it should come to keeping many people in the loop and making suggestions and such. The only problem right now is getting the many people! :P
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 pm

I think one good video idea would be to show different species to help potential owners choose the right type of parrot for their needs.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 pm

That's a fantastic idea but we would need a LOT of participation to get many species represented.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Rueae » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 pm

As things are right now and even with five or ten people...doing species specific videos right off the bat doesn't seem like a good move. Maybe I'm just thinking about it in grander terms than it will turn out, but when I think of a species specific video I see at least three to five of a specific bird. Admittedly we have enough to do a poi video if the people who posted in this thread a long time ago are still interested, but I picture it being more specific. Senegals, Capes, Meyers...alone. It just seems a lot more interesting to me and possibly more helpful to people looking at or for information on a specific bird on the youtube. (I would personally love to see videos like that to see how differently the same bird is and can act with and around different people and environments)
That said, I can totally see a video where we're tying to illustrate the differences between a big group of pois and then go even farther than that and illustrate the differences different species. (pois and pis for example.)
I do realize that would require a lot more people though...so it's probably just wishful thinking and day dreaming, on my part. I'm not meaning to be a damper, this is just my thought process.

I would however, like to see the first video be more of an introduction of sorts. Us explaining who we are and what we're trying to accomplish by creating a collaborative video account. Just people trying to explain what the viewers can expect from future videos.

Then we can go into things that concern all parrots, in general, just for a smoother start.
Cages- A video on cages where we explain why we chose it, both for us personally (or if our personal taste even applied at all) and for the bird we put in it. It could discuss color, (I hear a lot of people choose white because they feel it shows off the bird more, but I don't know if that's true) shape, (dometop, playtop, a top that opens, those scalloped types ones or just big rectangles) the doors and locks. We can bring up the space we feel our bird needs based on species and size and bring that into conversation too.
I had my ringneck in a cage that was a bit less in size than I would recommend for one, but she spent next to no time in there when I was home and was out a lot while I was at work (big family) as well, so it never really got to me or her. (the ringneck)

All that I just said regarding cages is a lot to swallow and having many people answering the same questions can take up a lot of time, I know. So I suggest then, breaking it into parts and possibly answering or addressing only one or two things at a time. I think the videos should be generally along the same time length every time one is made and should be kept on the shorter side to make them easier to swallow. Though I have no idea how long that should be, perhaps five minutes?

I have a few more ideas for general parrot videos, but I feel like this post is really long already and there is something I wanted to ask about.

Being a type of teaching channel on youtube, I wonder if we could (or should) ask the viewers to ask us questions. This could be something fun for them too, as we could ask for a specific length of video response (I'm thinking 30 seconds at most, possibly only 10 or 15) that asks a question of the group and we could answer it in the last minute or so of the next video we make. This gets them (and possibly their parrot) in one of our videos and their answer. I think this could have a lot of appeal to viewers because it allows them to feel like part of the project.
Since it's in the last minute or so of the video I don't think there would be enough time to chop together a lot of different people answering the question though. I suggest we instead elect a different person to end each time. We could either allow that person the sole answer or we could all discuss it as a group and have that person explain how everyone feels about the question/answer.

Keeping in kind of the same fashion we can also use it to our advantage. I'm thinking video responses should be specific to the question asked at the end of a video, but we could utilize the viewer's interest by asking them to post in comments the kind of videos they would like to see next, thus keeping us in ideas.

What do you guys think?

I also think, we should say what the next video will be about before it ends. (or possibly in the description?) This means we would already have an idea to be working on for the next video right when the one prior was posted.
If we do end up implement the use of viewers asking, this means that when we chose one it would keep us not one but two videos ahead of lacking an idea for the next video coming. I see it as a great way of keeping focus and preventing the group from feeling overwhelmed by not knowing what we're doing next.
I also think the time between each video should be as uniformly scheduled as the time of the video. I'm thinking we try to put the next video up two to three weeks after the last one. Possibly even just doing one video, close to the same day on every month.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby zazanomore » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:38 pm

I like the idea of answering viewers questions. :thumbsup:
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Rueae » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Well, I'm glad to see my super ridiculous long post didn't kill the thread. XD

I too, like the idea of answering viewer questions.

On a different note, I think now that, asking viewers to more or less assign our next video in comments might be unwise for awhile. I believe, that a few of the videos will have to come in parts and doing so would mess with them being consecutive. I don't know, that's probably not a big deal. I do have a kind of niggling feeling that if the group wants to do it, it should wait until we have a firmer foothold, so to say.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby Giantmoa » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm

for species-specific videos it could go something along these lines:
-Quick intro "today we're talking about the ___ species..." etc.
-*brief brief* history of species? background info or interesting fact to introduce them (approx size of bird, where they are from, that sort of stuff)
-personality!
-possible pros and cons of owning that species
-care requirements
(min cage size/bar spacing, diet, toys, average cost of everything, etc.)
-cute clips/owner stories/parrots performing tricks...

this is a rough outline that could be used... I'm just trying to imagine what it would be like and I'm guessing the species that we'd start off with are cockatiels, senegals, green cheek conures, or budgies since they seem to be pretty common on here and footage could easily be gotten
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:52 pm

That's a reasonable idea. This is where writers come in (whether they are able to participate in actual video production or not). Someone needs to write the actual words that are meant to be said, or at the very least a good outline that the speakers can follow. The key points, research, and information should be provided by the writer though to make the job of the video contributors not only easier but also more coordinated between the different presenters. A good start is to find a species of parrot that is well represented by volunteer video contributors and write about that one.

The brainstorming of general possibilities has been good, but to get this project off the ground, some folks are going to have to start coming up with specific storylines that can be used.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Youtube Channel