Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Flight Crashes

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Parrot Flight Crashes

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:05 am

Tell about any major or interesting stores about parrot crashes here. Has your parrot had a "funniest home video" kind of crash or a gruesome/painful crash into a window? How was the recovery, did it learn it's lesson?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot Flight Crashes

Postby MandyG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:15 am

My bird is just learning to fly so he isn't flying at speeds fast enough to get hurt thankfully. But he has had some funny crashes! One of his first flights he tried to fly from my husband to me, he completely missed my hand, flew out the door and literally face planted onto the floor, wings up behind him and everything. I thought it was funny, but I don't think he did.

The other day something scared him and he took off flying off of his perch, he missed his turn and crashed into a corner then slid to the floor. Another time got scared and took off flying, took the wrong turn, hit a chandelier, and flew into the bathroom (remember you should ALWAYS keep doors closed or toilet seats down) and I found him in the bathroom clinging to my house coat that was hanging on a hook on the wall. Poor guy didn't know how to get down and seemed really happy I was there to save him!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Marnie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:17 am

i am new to flighted birds but my new Moustache parakeet is fully flighted. i kinda wanted to see what it was like since my Sennie is not.
well, Skittles takes off and flies well but always heads for a window and crash lands. her worst one was landing on my "crown of thorns" plant OUCH!
she quickly comes to the perch i extend to her and steps up to ride back to her cage. she has been here a week today.
earlier Marnie left out some kind of "air raid" sound so i looked up to see Skittles flying full speed into the kitchen! she then crash landed into the window behind the couch. there are many places she could land but she always heads for a window.
i only allow this when i am home of course, i would not want her landing on Marnies cage, that would not be pretty.
other than that all is well here :D
Marnie
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds
Flight: No

Postby Titanius » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:17 am

Well.... this one could have ended gruesomely if Diamond wasn't actually looking for me. I think I'm the luckiest bird owner ever. I had them(Jasper and Diamond) on the top of the cage yesterday morning while I was cleaning it out. And something spooked her.
Someone had left the kitchen window. No matter how much I tell people to crack it so they can't fly through someone prevails in pushing it wide open.
She flew to it and as I scrambled to get her she jetted through the window flew through , flying among the trees to the point I had lost sight of her. She came back towards me and glided towards my neighbor's front window with a light thud. And landing rather ungracefully for me to pick her up. *sigh*

Funny in retrospect because I actually got her back, but she could have been one lost bird had she not turned around. :( Now I'm super super cautious with everything in the house.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:41 am

Titanius wrote:Well.... this one could have ended gruesomely if Diamond wasn't actually looking for me. I think I'm the luckiest bird owner ever. I had them(Jasper and Diamond) on the top of the cage yesterday morning while I was cleaning it out. And something spooked her.
Someone had left the kitchen window. No matter how much I tell people to crack it so they can't fly through someone prevails in pushing it wide open.
She flew to it and as I scrambled to get her she jetted through the window flew through , flying among the trees to the point I had lost sight of her. She came back towards me and glided towards my neighbor's front window with a light thud. And landing rather ungracefully for me to pick her up. *sigh*

Funny in retrospect because I actually got her back, but she could have been one lost bird had she not turned around. :( Now I'm super super cautious with everything in the house.

wow that sounds SCARY!! :(
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby Marnie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:34 pm

oh wow! that must have been awful! seeing her fly away
then seeing her crash into someones window! whew!
you sure got lucky that day.
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Postby lzver » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:35 pm

About 2 years ago Jessie got spooked and flew head first and very fast into our patio door. He made the most god awful scream and at the least scared and stunned himself. I put him back in his cage and watched him very closely. For the rest of the day he pretty much just stayed in the corner of the cage and didn't eat or drink. Fortunately he was back to his normal self the next morning, otherwise, we would have been off to the vet. Fortunately, he is a much better flyer now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:43 pm

Archimedes, in great excitement to be out one morning of his first week of knowing he could fly, flew smack into the wall, bounced off, landed in my daughter's bassinet (she was in our bedroom at the time) and landed RIGHT on top of my sleeping daughter.

That was not a good morning.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Marnie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:50 pm

today Skittles flew out of here and landed right on top of Lexi, my female whippet.
Lexi immediately vacated the premises! :o
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Postby bmsweb » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:42 am

Our baby GCC is on a death wish at the moment because she is fly a million miles an hour around the house. Fingers crossed she is with us for many years to come.

A few weeks ago she was flying in a circle around the living room and the circle kept getting bigger and bigger! On about the 6th circuit she clipped the double class door! She didn't crash to the ground, which is what I would have expected. She flew to my son and landed on his shoulder as my wife and I rushed over to her. The noise was loud and I honestly thought she hurt herself but she seemed fine, then flew to her perch and started turning around and waving . . :? so I started doing some more trick training with her.

She has great flight control, but she is a speed freak!
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Next

Return to Indoor Freeflight