Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot Forum Youtube Channel Idea

A place for forum members to participate in collaborative video projects about parrots for the web.

Parrot Forum Youtube Channel Idea

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:32 pm

I'm thinking of starting a collaborative youtube channel for the parrot forum if enough members are willing to participate. The goal would be to have individual and collaborative videos that cover things on the forum like training, diet, housing, etc. Ideally we could get 2-5 members to work together on a video about a given topic so it could include different birds and households doing the same thing.

So for instance a video about eating pellets could show parrot A eating pellet brand X and parrot B eating pellet brand Y and then perhaps one (or several) of the owners are seen on the video talking about the pellets they use and why. There can also be collaborative fun videos that just show 5 different people's parrot doing the same thing (like say chewing paper) but all mixed into one video. And of course we would bring all this effort back to the forum by having posts with the videos using the awesome [youtube] feature I made.

So for now I want to try to figure out how much interest we'd have for something like this. How many people would want to watch these kinds of videos and how many people actually have the cameras and software to make it happen. Even if you don't have the software or ability to do video editing but have the capacity to pass digital videos of your birds to someone else online to edit, you may participate.

I don't think there is much point in doing this unless we can get enough participants for it to be a community effort. I make videos for youtube on my own as do some other folks. This would only be worthwhile if we can have videos with different people in them. Besides good publicity for the forum it would also facilitate discussion and content for members to enjoy on the forum. Besides the collaborative videos we can also have individual videos from different members as a series or about the same topic. For instance we have have 5 members submit 5 separate videos about how they handle some controversial topic about their parrots. Or we could have a 5 part series where each member does a part like member 1 talks about clicker training, member 2 about targeting, member 3 about using targeting to teach a trick, etc...

So besides sharing your thoughts about this just mention your interest/capabilities as:

-Viewer
-Video contributor
-Video compiler/editor
-Channel maintainer

If we get enough interest and volunteers, we can figure out the details later.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Parrot Forum Youtube Channel Idea

Postby tacotaco » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:46 pm

me, personally, i would love to watch videos on the topics we discuss here. i think many people would find that very helpful. i'm a more visual learner so i think its a great idea. as for being recorded and explaining on camera - i don't think thats me - i am a shy one! but i do think this is a great idea if you could find enough people willing to help out!
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby MandyG » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:44 pm

I think it's a great idea! I'm a very visual learner too. I dont' have a video camera, but I'd love to watch the videos!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 pm

I think it's a great idea! I'm in!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:45 pm

We're going to need a bit more participation than that if we're going to get this off the ground. Folks who don't have cameras can still help with things like:

-Running the youtube channel
-Coming up with collaborative video ideas
-Writing scripts for participants of the videos to say

If it's unscripted it will be too unorganized and confusing. It won't be possible to logically combine scenes of different people into one consecutive video. So we definitely could use help from non-video people to come up with ideas for collaborative videos and to write the stories. Then we could have someone delegate it by telling each video participant what scene to do. Then when all the clips come in, someone else can edit it and finally pass it to the person responsible for organizing the youtube channel to upload it. Anyone familiar with youtube (don't even have to have experience with own videos) can decorate the channel nicely and write descriptions for the videos, answer comments, etc.

I really don't want to make this a one man show and have to fill all those roles because I may as well just make my own videos for Kiliparrot channel then. But if I could get enough people to help out, it could be a fun community project. We can't have less than 3 different parrot owners appearing in it or it won't look like a team effort. Then we could use at least 1 editor, youtube organizer, and writer.

I have ideas for the first two videos we can do but I'd need someone to write a script of what folks can say. Mandy, you up for it?

Video #1: Promotion of The Parrot Forum. Talk about what it is, what we do, the kinds of owners we have, etc.

Video #2: Christmas Parrots. If I could get at least 5 different clips of people's parrots hanging around chrismas decorations, playing with christmas stuff, wearing christmas stuff, etc, we could have a really cute group video with different parrots enjoying christmas stuff. TacoTaco, MissLady? Anyone?

For video 1 we definitely need some kind of script and what each video participant should say (while holding/showing their parrot). For video 2, anyone who has cute video clips of a parrot doing xmas stuff let me know and we can get these together and make a video with different parrots being cute.
Michael
Macaw

Postby tacotaco » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:27 pm

i can get charlie around some decorations and in his santa costume if he behaves! hehe :) ill try n get some video of him and a little collage of pics to gather.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby MissLady9902 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:24 pm

I could get my guys around some christmas things. Send the script whenever you get one and directions!
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:43 pm

I think the christmas one will be more of a free for all. As in everyone just get whatever cute xmas shots of your birds you can and then send to me. I'll figure out an email address to use or ftp server and provide that for people to be able to send me the videos, then I'll compile them into one compilation video.

As for the forum promo, that one will need a script. That is going to be like different people talking about different aspects. You can by all means write your own script. It's just important that it fits with everyone else's and doesn't duplicate or contradict them or it won't make sense in the scheme of the full video.
Michael
Macaw

Postby MandyG » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:13 pm

I'd love to be involved! Unfortunately I dont have the extra time during this time of year though. Maybe in a couple of months I'll be able to contribute. :D
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 pm

im up for running the channel and if people send me raw footage im able to edit it and render it in HD

i think its a great idea your able to see the different birds people own all over the word (trust me it varies country to country)

and seeing how different people interact with there birds.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Next

Return to Collaborative Youtube Channel