Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird won't stop landing on me

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Bird won't stop landing on me

Postby Sandra » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm a new member and bird owner. My year old flighted cockatiel won't stop landing on my head uninvited or crawling on me constantly. She has little tolerance for being caged and is stretching my patience and pooping on me and my things far too much. It's too much contact for my nerves at this point. Potty Training and an Off or Stay ontop of the cage command and training methods would be helpful. Oh, also how to encourage inside cage time.
Sandra
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Feamil cinnamon cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird won't stop landing on me

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:11 pm

Sandra wrote:Oh, also how to encourage inside cage time.

Put the bird in the cage and walk away. :thumbsup:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Sandra » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:35 pm

You are completely over simplifying this matter and not offering an answer to my questions. I need training advice on how to potty train my fighted bird and how to train a bird to stay on the top of it's cage when asked.
Sandra
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Feamil cinnamon cockatiel

Postby Rue » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:43 pm

She wants to be with you because you're her flock. I'm not a fan of clipped birds, but I believe it has a place in training - and is argueable, the quickest, easiest way to go about it. It's not the only way though.

If you clip her, you can stop the behaviours you don't like - her flying to you and not staying on the cagte...and then make certain your reward the behaviours you do like. Lots of praise when she's on her cage...treats too...even though she can no longer fly off of it, you still want to make a big deal of her being on it - if that's her place.

If you clip, work hard at the training, and hopefully when the feathers regrow you'll have instilled the desired behaviours and she'll be able to enjoy flying again.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Return to Indoor Freeflight