Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:41 am

Sorry for little posting today but my house and life are very complicated right now. I have workers in the birdroom (completely demo'd and rebuilding everything, ceiling, walls, windows, floor, closet, doors, EVERYTHING), the big parrots in the living and everybody in their cages because there are windows open on the second floor and the workers go in and out all the time, kittens to adopt out and, to put the icing on the cake, my golden retriever scratched his left ear too hard, broke a vein in it and got a huge blood bubble that needs to be operated on later today. When it rains, it pours!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 am

The workers are not coming today because they have to allow the compound to dry thoroughly before they start sanding it - and it is such a relief!!!! It will allow for a semi-normal day for the birds that had only been allowed out of their cages for 3 hours a day (2 in the am before the workers start - and 1 in the evening after they left at 5 pm). The poor cats and the kittens had been locked all day long and they dogs were too excited all day long what with the noises and the coming and going of the workers. I couldn't even do my weekly shopping! Thankfully, my golden retriever came out well out of the surgery even though we ended up doing more than just the ear blood bubble thing. He had what I hope was a fatty tumor in his right front leg elbow that had grown too fast for my taste and which we had only noticed lately. We were planning on having it removed but were waiting until the construction was finished but, as he was going to have to go under anesthesia for the ear (which could not wait or it would have ended up deformed), we decided to get it done. We did not foresee that it was a complicated surgery but should have realized that it was because of the spot where the tumor was (because of constant movement of the place where the incision needed to be done and the tendons and joint). But he came out OK. We picked him up last night and he was still a bit groggy but happy to see us and he ate all his dinner and his treat before going to bed. Did not get on the bed (too painful, I guess) so I made him a nice bed on the floor right next to my side and he only got up once to drink some water in the middle of the night. This morning, he went out, ate his breakfast, his treats and is now sleeping. I have to remove the ear wrapping this pm and clean the ear and the incision - and we have to bring him back in one week so the vet can see how the elbow is doing. Linus Too is happily screaming and going from one cage to another, Sophie Gray is perching on top of the kitchen cabinets and Precie and Zeus Zon are perching on top of their cage (they have been surprisingly GOOD!, have not screamed, have not gone wandering, gone back into their cage when told to...). So far, so good.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:40 am

Workers are back. I will try to post a bit later today - gotta go buy the flooring.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby nikkinemo95 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 am

I thought of making one thread so I can tell you if there are any improvements with any and all of my birds instead of adding to previous individual threads.
nikkinemo95
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:53 am

I'll come back and give you a real update but I keep on forgetting to let you know about this which I noted quite some time ago: both quakers are handicapped. I thought that Turqui's left wing looked funny (it just did not lay as close to the body as it should) but, as it was so severely clipped, I thought that maybe it was because of that and that when the feathers molted, it would 'lay' in a more normal way but it was nothing but wishful thinking. The wing was obviously broken and, judging by the angle it healed, it must have been bandaged by somebody who did not know what they were doing because it healed so crooked that he can't even extend it, much less use it. And Zeze' right leg was also broken at some point in time and not fixed because it ended up with an outward curve (what we would call in humans 'bowed'). But she can fly without a problem and uses the leg normally, climbing, perching, etc. Mind you, I am not complaining about it even though the people that sold them to my husband never said a single word about it! Actually, I am happy they ended up with me because I couldn't care less about 'perfection' and although I feel bad for poor Turqui who cannot fly at all (he can't even glide), they are doing GREAT! Bathing almost every day, eating EVERYTHING they get (especially leafy greens which they ADORE) and, even though they do bother the other birds because they are VERY possessive of their cages (once they all come out, they take over all the cages at the bay window and don't even allow the actual owners of the cages to use them :lol: ), they are having a good life.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:40 am

New set of workers in the parrot room working today (electricity) and 'old' crew coming back later for a second layer of compound - we stopped for a couple of days last week because the birds were spending too much time in their cages. We need to go buy a new ceiling fixture, baseboard and another door later today. Poor birds are all in their cages after being out for only two hours - I HATE it when they have to stay locked in - and my husband hates it too because it puts me in such a bad mood! I'll make some nut loaded birdy bread as a treat to compensate a bit...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 am

We have the closing for the refinancing of the house today PLUS the workers on the second floor PLUS the emails for the kittens adoption PLUS the big parrots are not happy about being in cages - especially Linus who has been making his 'I am not happy' sound almost incessantly... It's not a scream but a loud, long, raspy-sounding kind of noise that grates on your nerves like nothing else!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Pajarita wrote:We have the closing for the refinancing of the house today PLUS the workers on the second floor PLUS the emails for the kittens adoption PLUS the big parrots are not happy about being in cages - especially Linus who has been making his 'I am not happy' sound almost incessantly... It's not a scream but a loud, long, raspy-sounding kind of noise that grates on your nerves like nothing else!

That gravelly cockatoo sound can really get to you.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:35 am

:lol: Yes, it does! And I am actually pretty good when it comes to ignoring birds screams, chatter, whistles, etc but nobody on this earth can ignore that constant, incessant CRAAAAAA CRAAAAAA CRAAAAAA. Funny thing is, he stops when he is in the cage - which makes no sense to me because he should complain more in the cage than when he is free but, as soon as I open his cage early in the am, he quickly climbs down, goes straight for his pile of boxes and starts the weird calling.... I wonder if it's more a breeding call than a 'I am not happy' one.

Thankfully, the room will be finished today as the only thing missing is to re-install the radiator -which also needs to be painted with the special heat-tolerant paint- and we will start moving the bedroom furniture in. Once the third floor is empty, we will move the birds there so we can start touching up the first floor so we can put the house up for sale. I am hoping we can sign a contract real soon so we can start looking for a new house - I saw the most perfectly WONDERFUL house in upstate NY! Ranch (I don't want anymore stairs), 3 bedrooms (perfect so the cats can have their own room, too), 2 baths, 3 acres with a grove of trees and the most wondrous, LARGE lanai on the long side of the living room with two walls of curved windows and skylights that would be perfect for my birds! But, most likely, it will be gone before we 'get' to it. No matter, we can always build the bird rooms if we have to but it would be so much better if there was already a good room for them where I can house them as soon as we move in. I hate moving them from one place to another. My birds are actually pretty good at adjusting to changes but still...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:26 am

I haven't put up an update for many months and, although there are several news, I am so busy with the sale of the house, purchase of the new one (we are moving to a 6 acres property 5:30 hours away in Pa), packing, planning, etc that you are going to have to forgive me and wait until everything is settled in the new house (where, HOPEFULLY, I will have two separate specially built birdrooms and, possibly, an outdoor aviary for them, too). But I did want to tell you that Mami is sick. I am giving her antibiotics in her water because I gave her in the beak for two days and I was stressing her way too much. In reality, I don't know exactly what is wrong with her but taking her to the avian vet is not an option because they are still doing the COVID protocol and do not allow the owners to go in with the animal and, when I last took Sophie for a check up, she had to be all alone in the carrier for hours and hours before they even saw her. Mami is too old and too fragile for that. She started by not singing as she usually does every morning on Saturday, then Sunday night she started making this weird noise like a very soft 'Huh' and breathing with her beak open at times (not all the time) so I checked her out and found she had lost some weight (she is not skinny or anything but I have a pretty good idea of what all my birds weight feel on my hand -she has always been heavy for her size even though she was never fat- and her keel bone was a little bit more pronounced than it was before) so I think it might be a respiratory infection. But, even if it wasn't, there isn't really much more than antibiotics that you can give an old sick bird... I am sure she doesn't have a fungal infection and, although she has bad arthritis, she did not act as if she was in pain so the other two things one can give them (antifungal and pain meds) were not necessary. I decided not to separate her from Naida because, again, that would be stressful to her and when a bird is sick the most important thing you can do for them is eliminate all stress (and it's not as if antibiotics for a couple of weeks is going to harm Naida...). I put a heater under their cage and have been covering it with a large quilt to keep the heat inside but I do allow her to come out for a little bit in the morning because she is still eating and moving around. Every morning I go to see if she is still alive (she is soooo old, the poor thing, and had such a bad life before that it's a miracle she is still alive) and every morning she is still there so I still have hope she will get better but I am also trying to get used to the idea that she will not. She is a real tough old bird so who knows? She might surprise me once again. Keep your fingers crossed.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales