Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Proofing Homes

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Bird Proofing Homes

Postby Bananaboohoo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:43 pm

The subject says it. How can I bird proof my house? I want my birds to be able to free fly around the whole house but I'm not sure how to go about it. We let them out in my room for now, but that's it. :budgie:
Bananaboohoo
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird Proofing Homes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:11 am

Well, I love that you want to allow them access to the whole house but, in all honesty, I do not think you can actually bird-proof an entire house. Not for budgies, anyway. They are too little and fit into the tiny little cracks and nooks and crannies that will always be there (behind a piece of furniture, under a sofa, etc.). Birdproof your room and allow them flight there. Birdproofing means covering electrical outlets and cords, making sure there is nothing that can harm them (like things made out of heavy metal which they can chew and get poisoning or plants that are toxic, etc.), covering the cracks behind furniture, etc. But the trick is to keep your eye on them pretty much all the time because no matter how careful and how thorough we think we are, they always find something that we missed so the best thing is close supervision.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Indoor Freeflight