Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best Pellet?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Best Pellet?

Postby pabeth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I guess the bad smell probably isn't bad, but a good sign. I emailed some companies and asked for samples, so hopefuly they will respond and send me some. I also am retying with the new birds to get them to use the water bottle. My parakeet's water doesn't get so bad for chaning just once a day, but the parrotlets water just gets filthy! I worry about bacterial and change it as much as I can, but all I can do is before work, then eight hours or so later until the next clean batch. Eight hours of that dirty water just makes me cringe. Do you guys think that it is can make them sick? I don't know if they avoid drinking either and just are thirsty but don't want to drink it. Have you guys noticed that? I don't know because I"m not here but when I come back the water is usually dirty! I read the blogs about how to show the bird how the water comes out, but my birds aren't watching, and I tried (with Louie I can) to put his beak to it, but he wasn't really paying attention. I have been playing with it like it is super fun so that they will get curious and try it out themselves.
pabeth
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Pacific Parrotlets
American Parakeet
Flight: No

Postby Rue » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:54 pm

It shouldn't make them sick if the bowls are really clean to begin with. Although there always is the risk.

If you're concerned, you can switch them to water bottles.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Postby pabeth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:15 pm

OK! It seems like the parrotlets DO like the Roudybush! YAY, They are just crunching away. They DID NOT seem to like the Kaytee exact at all! I also gave some carrot, celery and broccoli for them, but only one (Louie) seem to like the carrots. The other one (Monty) spits out to vegg and shakes his head to get that flavor outta his mouth. The place I got it only had the mini size, and I rad on the Roudybush website to use crumble for the parrotlets. I guess I could just crush it. I guess because of waste, they do seem to pick it up, bite it, let it fall and then just nibble on the little bite they took. I guess I will just crush it. I also bought some all natural dried beans to cook and see how they like it. Other than that I have dried fruit. The lady said parrotlets should be piggies, and I was like... mine are so picky! So long story, seems like Roudybush tastes the best, at least for these guys.
pabeth
Lovebird

American Parakeet

Postby pfinarffle » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:26 pm

our sennie absolutely hated roudybush. but we were thankfully able to convert him from the zupreem froot loop-like colored garbage to harrison's with no problem. i was afraid peewee liked harrison's because of the pepper flavoring alone, but he gobbles the regular flavor with as much gusto. as for the spoilage issue, i just throw the bags in the fridge. would rather that than feed my bird preservative, even if they are "natural." seems all this is on a bird-by-bird basis! he definitely gets bored of certain pellets on certain days, so i try to mix things up a bit from time to time so long as what i get isn't colored and sugary (he had yeast issues). i've been trying to encourage him to eat goldenfeast's golden'obles as well since that stuff contains heat-resistant strains of healthy bacteria and herbal perservatives. it smells amazingly yummy (if you're into indian food). :) alas, he only picks at that from time to time. workin' on it, though!
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby pabeth » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 pm

I look up that golden stuff. I give them a little tube of bacterial stuff. It says you can give them .5 ounce, but there is no way. There usually get like, 1 lick before they get angry at me for giving them this awful crap. I was trying to find something like that in a food, I got them yogurt drops, which I thought might have bacteria, but not really sure, plus they didnt' like it anyway.
pabeth
Lovebird

American Parakeet

Postby a.susz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:14 pm

i need to switch my guys to a better pellet too, im thinking roudybush would be my best bet, harrisons seems too boring for some reason. mine are on zupreem (fruity pebbles) and hagen's tropi-mix.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Have you tried the Zupreem Natural? Nothing wrong with it.

I find it funny, and it happens all the time, that people will use the coloured Zupreem, and ignore/dismiss the natural...

I have researched it. I can't find any issues with the natural at all...

Roudybush also still has the best overall customer reveiws, but I haven't read any bad reviews regarding the Zupreem Natural...and I've been keeping my eyes open...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby a.susz » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:03 pm

i did i even had tried weaning them into the natural and boy were they mad. they would pick all the zupreem colored out, and not eat anymore, then the next day theres less colored so they eat less, ignore the natural, and finally when i tried a whole dish of natural, i get a stare from my sennie, then he pouts. he was weaned on zupreem colored many years ago and still loves it, but i hate how it smells when they dunk it! im ready to switch to water bottles too, sheesh.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby JadeW » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Hmm... Most people seem to be using Roudybush, Zupreem, or Harrisons. My local PetLand only carries the coloured Zupreem and I hadn't heard of any of those other brands. My bird is eating Living World, which he was fed at the petstore, but I can't seem to find too much out about that particular food. Would anyone else feed it to theirs at all? Or should I be considering switching foods? :S
Michele and Cas <3
JadeW
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby BirdbrainJan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:21 am

Franklin's currently eating the Zupreem Natural, and he really likes the bits of dried apple and veggies in there. He always goes for the apple first, and dips it in his water to soften it up.

The vet sells Harrison's, so I was going to talk about the benefits of each with the vet when we go next Friday...but I've heard that it is really quite a bit more expensive, and I just don't know if it's that much better a pellet than the Zupreem. It seems like there are a lot of parrots on here eating Zupreem though.
BirdbrainJan
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet