Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best Pellet?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Best Pellet?

Postby HeartHaze » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:33 am

i've found someone that sells Lafeber’s Premium Daily Diet here but they only have ones sized for macaws and cockatoos. do you think i could still use it for my conure? im ok with it being wasted because of size but my problem is if it has a different nutritional value or content different from ones needed by conures. thanks :)
HeartHaze
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Rue » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:53 am

I'd check the labels, or contact the company to be sure...

If the pellets are a bit large, I suppose you could break them up. Might have less waste that way. Put some in a baggie and hit with a meat hammer, etc.,
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby pabeth » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:08 pm

I saw roudybush that was bulk by weight, but i wasn't sure how long it would have been sitting at the pet store. But I do see they also have it in ziplock packages online. It is super hard lke supreme in the bags or is it softer as when sold in the bulk containers? What does it smell like? I know... funny question. I ask because I have tried zupreme (birds hate it), kaytee exact (don't seem to be eating it, but not sure yet). Well my vet said I could mix some warm water in there and let it be softer for the youngin's and it smelled SO BAD. It was like... dead fish or mudd smell. My bird louie took a bite but shook his head like it was disgusting. I dont blame him! Seems like all you guys like roudybush, hence the question. I hope it tastes good. I'm so sick of spending money! PIcky picky birds!
pabeth
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Pacific Parrotlets
American Parakeet
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Roudybush smells pretty nasty so it's probably healthy for the bird unlike the delicious smelling ones that are loaded with chemicals to be like that. Ok, standby I got a blog coming up about this.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Well I just got my first bag of Harrisons from my vet, we'll see how he takes to it.

Are there any Canadians on here that get Roudybush online? Around here there was only one supplier and they've stopped carrying it. If it's cheaper and my parrot likes it more I'd like to try it but I don't know of any reliable online sources in Canada.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby lzver » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:29 pm

MandyG wrote:Well I just got my first bag of Harrisons from my vet, we'll see how he takes to it.

Are there any Canadians on here that get Roudybush online? Around here there was only one supplier and they've stopped carrying it. If it's cheaper and my parrot likes it more I'd like to try it but I don't know of any reliable online sources in Canada.

Roudybush is very hard to buy in store in Canada. According to the Roudybush website, there is only one vet in downtown Toronto that sells it. I have never seen it sold anywhere. I don't order online very often for the birds. If I see any online sources in Canada that sell it, I'll be sure to pass the info on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:40 pm

Petland has carried it. But I find them very erratic. That's why I stick with the Zupreem - and even then I've had PetSmart run out of it...as well as the other pet stores when I checked.

I'm not sure why I can't find one store that carries the products I prefer...lol...it's not like I'm after anything odd...
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby MandyG » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:49 pm

I find it's hard to regularily purchase decent food. I used to get Zupreem (colored, then the natural diet) regularily from one store, then they stopped carrying it and only carry seed based diets. The only other store I found that carries Zupreem only had a bag of colored pellets for cockateils and the natural diet for macaws. I kept waiting for their new order to come in but I finally ran out of food and had to buy the macaw sized. It does say it's for Amazons, but it's much bigger than what Mojo is used to.

I might stick with Harrisons simply becuse my vet can order it in regularily as I need it.
MandyG
Amazon

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:55 pm

...as long as you can get it...that's great!

I know when I had to make do with another formulation of the Zupreem...I had some resistance...and that had me a bit worried...
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby MandyG » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:58 pm

When I switched to Zupreem's natural diet he really didn't like it too much but he's fine with it now. Tonight will his frist time trying Harrisons, I really hope it goes over well!

Update: He loves them! I think I'll stick with them because they're readily available.
MandyG
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet