Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

can i even risk getting a free flight bird?

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

can i even risk getting a free flight bird?

Postby purplepanda13 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:55 am

I'm considering getting my first budgie, but I'm worried it would be completely incompatible with my home. I live in a townhouse, with a partial wall that separates the living room and kitchen- leaving a high open ledge under the vaulted ceiling. Every room in the house (except the bathrooms) have a random high ledge on one side below the ceiling. I keep seeing over and over again that budgies shouldn't be clipped, but I can't imagine one NOT taking advantage of those high spaces and never coming down. What do I do?
purplepanda13
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: can i even risk getting a free flight bird?

Postby liz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:32 am

They do love high places but also want time with their flock humans. If he is bonded to you he will want to spend time with you as well as the high perches.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: can i even risk getting a free flight bird?

Postby Bird woman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Have you considered a Quaker ? I have little Maxie that's been here for about 6 months and she is content to fly around the house and just be where I am all the time and what a pure delight she is. This is my first experience with a little bitty parrot and I'll tell you there intelligence will match any of my big birds. Loyal, ferocious to a fault , talkative and entertaining all wrapped up into a 95 gram bundle of joy. The bonus is she eats what the big birds do only in smaller pieces and doesn't chew on anything other than what I give her. (Lots of stick things) you will need to check your state to see if there okay to have, some places consider them an invasive species. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Return to Indoor Freeflight