Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How I Untrained Flying Away From Being Grabbed

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: How I Untrained Flying Away From Being Grabbed

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Unfortunately I do not have love birds, the closest that I have are parrotlets which are very similar in many respects but it does appear that of the two parrotlets are the more aggressive.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:35 am

I had lots of lovebirds but I did not make 'pets' out of them, they lived in pairs and in flock because that's what makes them happy. I did have one single female that had been handfed and later given up because of aggression but I don't know why because she was the sweetest, sweetest thing! Her name was Matilda (she was an Australian cinnamon, thus the name -I am not very original :D ) and even when she was in her nest and sitting on eggs and with a mate (she had one husband and when that one died, she got herself another one) she would come out and fly to my shoulder to ride there for a while and give me kisses. I called her my birdy princess and my grandkids loved watching her come when called and kiss me. Mind you, I never trained her to do this, she learned it on her own because she had the terrible habit of hiding which made me worry so I would call her name while looking for her in the nooks and crannies of the birdroom until I found her.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Even the most aggressive bird can be gentle and very loving if given the right encouragement and the right treatment and lots of love. And yes they are all different and sometimes the differences between birds of the same species is greater than the differences between birds of different species.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Superman2016 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:16 pm

I know this post is old but the only two lovebirds I have interacted with were also the sweetest lovebirds I had the privilege to know. The first was my aunts (and cousins who were kids) . He/she would anyone hold/pick up and play with it, even hold it upside down or lying in your hand. It was sooooooo sweet. It made me want one. I handfed one and raised him (DNA sexed male) . He was just as sweet ! I have no idea why lovebirds get such a bad reputation. But with that said I just wanted to share that they CAN be sweet and very loyal pets. My little guy would call to me and I would answer. I made up a special contact call which he learned to repeat and used to call out to me if I was in another room.
Superman2016
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, sun conure

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks