Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Website: Poicephalus.org

Be familiar with the forum rules and check back for announcements. New collaborative videos discussion.

New Website: Poicephalus.org

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:05 pm

I found that there is an information gap in the parrot world when it comes to Poicephalus Parrots, particularly as a group. So seeing the availability of a super awesome domain name, I decided to register it and make a website about pois. I threw together a temporary place holder website just to get started:

http://poicephalus.org/

The website isn't "incomplete," it is not even begun so don't worry about the content already there. However, I'd like everyone's advice about how I should develop the website idea. It could be a forum specific to Pois, it could be a blog, could be an informational website, could be a wiki where owners write what they think, it could be a social network site where users can set up and profile each of their pois and compare to other people. At the moment I'm leaning to making it an informational website along with a social network component where viewers can share photos and information about each of their pois.

Anyone have other ideas or suggestions? What do you feel about a website specific not to a certain species, but to all Poicephalus?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: New Website: Poicephalus.org

Postby Rue » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:12 pm

I think an informational site is a great idea...but experience tells me that general bird/parrot forums get more traffic and a better exhange of information.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Kim S » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm with Rue. I think it might be a good idea to link this forum to the website if that's possible. Make it an informational website on all poi species, including a little nook for parrots and parakeets in general.
I really like the social network idea, but I have no idea how that should work.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:40 pm

This site (parrotforum) is the broad all parrot discussion place. I'm talking about something specifically for Pois. I guess ideally it should be the all in one solution for Poicephalus owners:

-Informational
-Discussion
-Place to blog
-Poi photo galleries
-Parrot profiles
-Meet other Poi owners

I wouldn't make it a forum like this one, but perhaps a small discussion section where very Poicephalus specific questions can be asked. I'd link it from the blog and forum but it would also have links to the blog/forum from the new site. I'd like to hear more from our Poicephalus owners here. What do you think of a website specific to Pois, what kind of features would you like to see on it (that would attract not only beginners but yourself as well), what could you contribute to such a site? Thanks.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Kim S » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:53 pm

As a poi owner i would like to have a site just for pois.

As a new poi owner I know I have been searching the web for information about their character and came up with zero. So a little character-scetch per species would be very nice.
Even though its easily found online, the standard info per species would be nice to make the picture complete so to speak.
A parrots for dummies section, where you can give the 101 most important things about keeping parrots.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Natacha » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm all for the Poi photo gallery! :D

Seriously, I am for something with general information about each species. It would be nice to have everything concentrated on one website.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Guess who I'm asking for resources about red bellys and meyers ;)
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Don't forget the Yellow Faced Parrot and the Niam Niam! (unless you only want to list parrots kept as pets)

I like the wiki idea. I know when I first got Pippin it was difficult to find specific information about him. There was some, but usually it grouped all pois together instead of focusing on one type, or it only focused on the Senegal etc. It would be nice to have a comprehensive poi website.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby skeetersunconure » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:50 pm

i like the website idea its nice looking but definately (i dont think i spelled that right im so lazy to look it up right now) need some sort of thing where people can post comments and get answers so basically all poicephalus parrots are from africa? what about greys what do they fit into? :senegal: :gray:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 pm

As part of the Poicephalus Owners Parrot Profile (POPP), I'd like to develop a survey/questionnaire for Poi owners to be able to fill out about each of their parrots. Name, breeder, hatch day, picture, etc will help identify the parrots and get people in touch who might have birds that are related. Some other questions might include weight, flight, sex, etc. Based on the success of the Senegal Parrot Comparison by owners on this forum, I am thinking of expanding that and having a specific questionnaire to fill in rather than freehand as we did. Thus all the information would go into a database and not only be viewable by other Poicephalus owners, but also help provide statistical analysis about these parrots once we amass enough data.

So let me know what kinds of questions you think the survey should ask?
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Forum Rules, Announcements, and Collaborative Videos