Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatoo or Amazon Cage?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cockatoo or Amazon Cage?

Postby EmberSanja » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:16 pm

There's a Craigslist ad asking only $100 that says "Dimensions H 63” L 37” W 28”" and has a picture (below for all to see). The bottom pan is missing but I feel I could find something to work in place, if not make my own with stainless steel or something of the like. Would this be acceptable for either an amazon (orange wing or blue front) or cockatoo (sulfur crested or umbrella)?
I've asked about bar spacing & haven't yet got a response, but I do know the acceptable distances, so don't worry about that. I just don't know if the shape is cause for concern, as I recall learning that parrots do very poorly in rounded cages, and there are probably many other rules that I'm not aware of. If this would violate any of them, I won't even consider it.
Also, if there are questions beyond bar spacing I should be asking, let me know that as well - it'll be important to know what to ask for other cages too I'm sure.
Thanks for the help!

EmberSanja
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck, Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatoo or Amazon Cage?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:13 am

Well, I'll be honest with you, I don't like that kind of cage and I'll tell you why. I don't like black or dark cages, I think they must be super oppressive for the birds to be surrounded by dark bars. I don't like cages that go all the way down to the floor, parrots (with the exception of a couple of species that are not kept as companions) are all canopy birds (live in the top of trees) and being on the ground is stressful to them (predators can get theme easily) so I always choose cages that have a stand with longish legs. And I do not like cages that have two tops at different levels because the whole 'bottom' part (which is the ONLY part that has any decent width) is never used. The birds stay at the top part which is super small for them. The whole wide bottom part is wasted and the bird ends up living in a narrow tube.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby EmberSanja » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:03 am

Thanks Pajarita, as always I greatly appreciate your input!
I'll be looking at the one pictured below instead, considering all you've said. They'll be out of their cage most of the day, of course, but it's still important I do my best for them. Moving on to bigger and brighter cages- literally! :danicing:

EmberSanja
Lovebird

Postby EmberSanja » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:17 am

Actually, there is one question I can't find anywhere online.
How do you read bar spacing? It would make sense to me to only measure the gap, but I know in other hobbies you read from the middle of each bar, or even from end to end. They sent me a picture to read myself but I'm not sure how exactly to do that.

EmberSanja
Lovebird

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:41 pm

That's about 5/8" bar spacing, suitable for most parrots.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 am

Yes, Michael is correct. It's the actual separation between the bars that matters because, although one would want it to be as wide as possible (less bars means more of a feeling of freedom, right?) you need to be careful about the bird not being able to stick its head through it and get it stuck but it cannot be too narrow because then a foot can get caught. But one has more flexibility if the cage is only used for sleeping.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing