Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Old people and pets

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Old people and pets

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 am

I am of two minds when it comes to this subject because on the one hand, pets help older people to stay healthy and active (see first link) but, on the other, keeping up with the demands can be too onerous for old people (see second link). My other problem is that old people (and I am old myself so this is not against all old people) usually tend to believe that what they know is enough and don't put the time into learning -which is imperative for good parrot husbandry! And look where these people kept the poor Gray! In a small CARRIER!!!!

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-04- ... -cope.html

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-worl ... 06404.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Old people and pets

Postby liz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:59 am

I still regret not telling the 70 year old, with the daughter who said she would not take care of a parrot when her mom died, that she should foster. Fosters are not alone to care for the pet and don't need to worry about the pet when they die.

I am 69 now. Although Pajarita has to pull me in every once in a while when I wander in the wrong direction, I believe I am caring for and making my birds happy.

My son will care for my birds when I am gone until he can find the perfect home for them. He has my heart when it comes to pets. If it was just my daughter I would be rehoming them now.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:38 am

Oh, Liz, I am not saying that ALL old people refuse to learn new things! Lord knows I try very hard to keep up with developments and discoveries in the bird world and I know you do, too. But not everybody is like us: people who regard the wellbeing of their animals as a priority. Most people keep animals for what the animals do for them and those don't really care to learn anything new.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:10 am

I was just saying that I regret not telling the 70 year old that she could foster and have the parrot she wanted to love. Her daughter was mean.

70 is the new 50. Ha Ha
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 am

Well, I doubt she could foster her own parrot. I mean, fostering means that the rescue pays for medical but, aside from the fact that you still have to do all the work and pay for food, what rescue is going to agree to paying for somebody's bird?! The dog and cat rescue I used to work with did this on special circumstances: like an old dog that had lived all his life with a person, got sick and needed medicine or treatment for the rest of his life and his owner could not pay for it - I remember an old lady who could not pay or transport the dog to the vet to the vet (she couldn't carry him or even drive herself any longer) so we paid for everything, gave her food for the dog AND took the dog to the vet ourselves. But we would not have done it for a young animal that would have adjusted just fine to a new home which might have been the case here... It's not that we did not prefer people who loved their animals kept them, it's that we could not afford it! We were always way deep in the red because we were not only strictly NO KILL (we had dogs that had lived for years and years at the shelter -we did not keep them in kennels, they lived in rooms in a farm house we had) but we also specialized in taking in the ones that other rescues refused because they were too old or too sick or too handicapped so we had HUGE bills all the time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:07 am

I do worry what will happen when I die. I know my daughter will take Gaugan. She loves her and Gaugan knows and loves my daughter. She will miss me terribly but she is good at making due and would make it work. She is a pragmatic parrot. My daughter would take Sunny too, but he takes a long time to adjust . He takes a long time to trust any new situation and maybe they couldn't work it out is a fear I have. He also has his own idea of how things should be, is very stubborn and he is harder than a lot of parrots to try to understand, because he is so quirky. He still will not let my hubby pick him up....after a lot of work I can get him to step up on hubby if i am holding him and if he knows what hubby will do first and it has to be an a to b thing.....and he has to think about it first and give his consent. it took me a long time to "get" him and I am really good with animals.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am

Well, we have a saying in Spanish: Nunca falta un roto para un descosido (it kind of means the same there is a lid for every pot) so I am sure that even if it takes time, Sunny could find a home where he will be understood. In all honesty, I've never encountered a bird that would not adjust to a new home and a new human given enough time and patience. Of course that the right attitude is essential so people with expectations of a pet that is this or that don't work out with the more difficult and/or quirky ones but then, those people would not work out with babies, either. Not in the long run they don't.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Pajarita wrote:Well, we have a saying in Spanish: Nunca falta un roto para un descosido (it kind of means the same there is a lid for every pot) so I am sure that even if it takes time, Sunny could find a home where he will be understood. In all honesty, I've never encountered a bird that would not adjust to a new home and a new human given enough time and patience. Of course that the right attitude is essential so people with expectations of a pet that is this or that don't work out with the more difficult and/or quirky ones but then, those people would not work out with babies, either. Not in the long run they don't.

I really hope you are right he is such a quirky guy. For example if i have been loom knitting and then I let him out he will fly near me and just look at me. I finally figured out that he had to touch my loom with his beak. Once I did that his whole body posture changed and he made sweet peeps So now I always let him touch anything I have been doing that day. It keeps him happy. He is stubborn enough to just sit in one place until you "get" what he is communicating and respond to it. He can accept a not now but he needs to know you addressed it. He doesnt get in your face about it you have to notice him. When we run out of pistachios which is his favorite by far he will sit on his food dish and not eat until I notice he is looking at the food dish and then at me and then back at the food dish. If i say no pistachios...he will start eating. He just needs to have it established that I didnt forget I guess.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:22 am

:lol: He might be quirky but he is a real smart cookie, isn't he? And, yes, super care needs to be taken with the more difficult ones when it comes to choosing the right home for them but the way I look at it is that if i can do it, there must be other people out there who also can. It's just a matter of finding the right person - which, I grant you, it's NOT easy! I have a dilemma myself because, although Naida and Mami Zon are coming with us when we move back home, I doubt that I will be able to take Zeus and Precie Zon and it's going to be a federal project and a half finding them a home! It's not that they are difficult birds because they are not. You feed them, clean up after them, praise them every day and that's about it. But they haven't lived in a cage for years and years and years and they are not only NOT people friendly, they are VERY distrustful and Zeus takes a loooong time to begin to trust you and stop attacking you so they are not only going to need a human that has experience with zons, they are also going to need a home where they can have their own room and where the people have no expectations of any type of physical interaction with them... not an easy thing to find. But I will start early and see what I find and, if I don't find anybody that fits, I guess I will have to take them with me. The one thing in their favor is that they are MAGNIFICENT - beautiful, beautiful birds! And very healthy, too. I was talking to Zeus this morning, he was perching about 5 inches from my face and he was displaying by fanning his tail and boy is he gorgeous!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:59 am

Well I couldn't be more surprised with Gaugan. After 20 years of detesting bananas she suddenly decided she absolutely loves them. Parrots never cease to amaze me.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Next

Return to Housing