Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELP Bird found nearly dead in the street and rescued

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

HELP Bird found nearly dead in the street and rescued

Postby Ondinha » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi
I need your help

I Rescued from a certain death in the street a senegal parrot that was hurted and being atacked by a seagul.

In the first day i didn´t eat.
The day next to it it started drinking and eating from inside the cage on my hand.

I reaaly need help.

How often can i feed him?

What does he she like?

Sometimes i feel he wants to open his cage door but i'm afraid to open it...i don't know if he can fly.
He walks from one side to another and with his beek tries to open the cage door.

I don't know it's age or if it is a male or a female...

He has a very strong beek but he never bited me or my son so far.

But i'm afraid to put my hand inide his cage...

How should i start and what can i do?

PleASE help me.

I really love him and i'm so glad i'd saved him
Ondinha
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: HELP Bird found nearly dead in the street and rescued

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Where are you located?

Here are some immediate things to do

Post regarding found bird on parrotalert sites. There are two of them but i dont remember off the top of my head. Just look up parrot alert.

Let people in the local community know by posting fliers. Do not post a picture of the bird and especially keep the band number, if available to your self. Make a vague description of small parrot found, request that claiming owner describe the bird or show a picture.

For food, corn, sunflower seeds, and mixed nuts will help it get by and regain weight in the short term. Make sure all are unsalted. Look into bird food as soon as possible. Consider taking the bird to an avian vet. It sounds like you really care so if you have the money, this is a good thing to do after what it has gone through.

Please try your best to find the rightful owner. I am sure you understand that if you were in the position of having lost your pet, you'd hope somebody would find and return it.

Lastly, try contacting Ginger, she runs a Senegal Parrot rescue and has helped reconnect lost/found Senegals in the past. http://GingersParrots.org
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:24 pm

How long has it been since you rescued him from the street ? Please post some pictures of him as soon as you can so that we can see him from all sides. Need to be able to see entire body, but as close as possible at the same time.
He needs to eat in the morning and in the evening with a little to nibble on through the day. What he likes is going to depend on what he was accustomed to eating. So start off with some cooked brown rice and add some mixed vegetables, such as peas, carrots, sweet corn, you could put in some whole grain bread until you can get some whole grains, add some pieces of apple without seeds or peel. If you have some leafy green vegetables give him some as well, but not head lettuce. and a seed mix for dinner and remove it after he goes to sleep.
I give mine a cooked mix of white beans ( all beans must be well cooked to be safe ), brown rice, whole grain pasta and the vegetable type pasta, mixed vegetables, whole grains, apple, squash both yellow and green, raisins, dried pineapple,and or other fruit. This is breakfast and I give fresh fruit and vegetable ( raw ) to nibble on and then a seed mix for dinner.
This link viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12521 has a list of foods that are safe to give them as well as a pot of other things that you need to know about that are safe or toxic for him. The list begins on page two. Please be sure to read it.
Important !!! If you have non stick cook ware do not use it as if it get too hot it gives of a fume that will kill this bird in seconds, and be sure that his cage is not place in the kitchen.
We are going to need to know what size his cage is as well as where you have it placed, again pictures help a lot. You will need a supply of bird safe toys, pieces of crumpled paper works in a pinch as they usually love to shred paper. He needs to be near a window so that he can get sunlight, especially at dawn and dusk.
I understand that you are not yet ready for this part of it, but this bird will need to have at least one hour of one on one time with you and four hours of free time out of its cage every day. You have a lot of work ahead of you to make it safe for him to come out of his cage. You need to make sure that there are no electrical wires or cords that the bird will be able to get to and chew on, you need to make sure that there is no place that the bird can get into and get trapped or that you can't get to quickly in case that you need to save him. Some house plants are toxic to birds and you will find a list of them on the link that I have already provided to you. So you may have to move them to where he can't get to them. Other animals can be a major problem, so if you have other animals don't try to introduce your bird to them or allow them to interact with each other, so if you do have other animals in the house we need to know what they are.
OK ! Lets move on to you and the bird and how to start building a good relationship. You will need to set aside some time each day about 15 minutes at least twice a day more if possible. I can not tell you how fast or slow this will progress as it depends on too many factors that neither of us are able to answer.
So to begin your session, enter the room that has the bird in the cage and stop for a minute and look at the bird and notice what it is or is not doing. don't look straight on but sort of watch from the corners of your eyes or watch by glancing at the bird often but not looking at it steadily, this is so the bird knows that you are not looking at it like a predator does. Now slowly begin to approach the cage and as soon as the bird acts nervous or begins to move away from you in its cage stop and do not approach any closer during this session. Now all you want to do is to talk to the bird in a calm voice. It does not matter what you say but include thing like good bird or other words of praise for it, I find it to be helpful to think about how I want this relationship to be and talk about that and things I would like to do with the bird. When the time is up say good bye and leave. Do this the same way from the very beginning and in a short time you will be right at the cage.
Once you have reached the cage, you can simply begin the session with hello or what ever but you now will offer the bird a treat through the cage bars. It could be a unsalted, roasted peanut, a sliver of carrot or apple. Three pieces should get you through the 15 minute talk. If the bird takes the treat from you, great. If it doesn't take the treat leave the treat right there for it and continue, at the end of the session say good bye and leave. Once the bird is taking the treats from you then we begin the next step which begins with you starting your talks by opening the cage door. You offer the treat as before and if it takes the treat from you then the next treat is offered so that the bird must step up onto your hand to get it If it steps up and takes the treat say Step Up. At this point you have started to gain the birds trust and you can start to move about in the bird safe room with the bird on your hand. Make sure that you save a treat to give the bird when it is time to put the bird back in the cage.
Will go into giving the bird free time out of its cage in my next post here.
While I am happy to try to help you with your bird, you really owe it to the bird and its owner to try to find a way to reunite them if it is possible, and it is really where I should have started my reply. birds bond to their owners and when they become separated from them they grieve the same as you would if your child got lost. The owner of this bird could also be just as frantic over losing this bird as you would be if it were your child. I know that I would be if I lost one of mine, because I nearly did lose my African Grey Parrot, I was lucky and recovered her.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Ondinha » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:46 am

Thanx for your help guys.

I've placed a paper in the place where i found him and on a nearby cofee shop.

No owner appeared, it's been up to 5 days.

This happened in Lisbon.

My guess is that people has just went to vacancies and abandoned it.
Trust me, unfortunatelly there are some cruel human beings.
Perhaps they here expecting him to speak, and he only makes acute sounds... i don't know.
I have a feeling that the owner will not search him anymore....

I've made ome progress.

He eats in my hand through the bar.

He now appears to be well because started climbing the cage and doing exercise.

His eyes have very little yellow.

i will post a pic as soon as possible to try to see if the cage suits him and his gender revealed.

Can i open the cage door and let him eat in my hand?

And if he escapes how do i catch him again without hurting him?

Should i remove the food container from the cage so that he is only fed by hand?

THANX GUYS
Ondinha
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:31 am

First thing that I want to do is to thank you for rescuing this little bird from the situation that it was in.
You do not want to remove either his food or water dish, except to clean and refill them as needed. Feeding him from your hand is fine for giving him treats but let him have his breakfast and dinner in his dish and let him eat it in peace.
After you have made sure that the room that he is in is safe for him to be out of the cage in, and that there are no other animals in the room, and that all windows are either screened or closed and any doors are closed so that he cannot escape you will be able to let him out of the cage. I would wait until about two hours before it gets dark and them open the cage door and step back and let him come out on his own. I think that for the first few times, until he get used to you and his surroundings that when I let him out that I would move over to the window so as to lessen the chances of him being in a panic and flying into a glass window at full speed, or perhaps place a sheet over the window or pull the curtain. About one hour later I would make very sure that he sees you putting his dinner into his cage. this is just in case you have any problems in getting him to step up onto your finger or hand to put him in the cage. If he will not step up then you just make sure that the lights in the room are turned off and as the room gets darker he will probably return to the cage all by himself, but whatever you do make certain that you do not chase him around the room at all. If he does not step up for you or doesn't go into the cage on his own before dark. Leave the room carefully and close the door, wait until it has been dark for about half an hour, then very carefully enter the room with a flash light and close the door. Locate the bird with your light and then do not keep it on him, turn it to the floor and go to him and using only enough light to see him pick him up gently and place him in the cage.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:30 am

First thing you need to do is take him to a vet to see that he is OK. Then you have to make a good effort at finding his owners (I seriously doubt anybody would abandon an expensive parrot, if anything, they would sell it) and putting two posters nearby is not it (they can fly long distances). You need to post in a much larger area and in the newspaper, at least. You did a great thing taking him in but this bird belongs to somebody else and this person must be frantic about it - we get VERY attached to them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:46 pm

When you PM'd me concerning the bird, you had not yet read any of the replies and I told you that in addition to what information concerning feeding and reassuring him that you do two things, one was to get this bird to an avian vet and have him checked out and to follow the instructions that Michael posted. I then gave you the information that you requested concerning how to let him out of the cage.
How have you been doing with getting this bird a vet appointment and have you made any progress in the things that Michael suggested to you to do ? These thing are every bit as important as the information regarding handling the bird and how to feed the bird or any other information.
I know that you do not understand the nature of this bonding and the relationship that is developed between the bird and it's owner. The closest relationship and bonding to this one between bird and owner is the one between a mother and her child. If a mother loses her child and cannot find it, she goes into a very frantic panic state that allows her to do nothing but worry and search for her child regardless of how hopeless it may seem to be. It consumes her every waking moment, it doesn't allow her to eat or rest and sleep only comes when she is utterly exhausted, each hour that she can't locate her child wears on her mentally, emotionally and physically as if it were the whole day or longer. this is what the owner of this bird is going through.
The child is at first surprised because it doesn't see its mother, this soon turns to fear and then into panic and depression and then into grief, because the mother has not come to the child's aid and in the child's eyes the only reason for it's mother to not come and find it is because she is dead. This is what the bird is going through.
I know that you are probably thinking that I am over dramatizing this situation , but I assure you that I am not. This is very much what happens to both the bird and its owner, as you would know if you had ever experienced this bond for yourself. And I know that you really do want to have this experience. Please try to imagine how you would feel if this were you and your bird or child was missing and possibly hurt, dying or dead and you didn't know.
Please make the effort to follow Michael's suggestions as well as the suggestions made by Pajarita.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:33 pm

It can be tempting to keep such a beautiful bird but trust me there is probably someone out there going out of their minds with worry and depair at the thought that they may never see their beautiful bird again. I'd feel beyond sick if my bird disappeared, please take it to a vet, ask the vet to search for a microchip. Look around for a parrot society and inform them of the bird you found. Please don't keep hold of it, there must be someone going out of their mind, who if they never find the bird will always be on the lookout possibly for the rest of their life, trying to find the bird to stop the constant sickness they feel from knowing that their mistake caused the bird to escape and become lost. For a parrot owner such an unpleasant and sick feeling will never go away until their 'child' is found.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Return to Housing