Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Achievement Unlocked: TOPS muffins :) *UPDATE*

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Achievement Unlocked: TOPS muffins :) *UPDATE*

Postby marie83 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:02 am

hooligan wrote:I made these last week, presented them to Scrubby, and she turned her snobbish little nose up at them.

I immediately understood how my mother felt every time I said I wasn't hungry when it was dinner time.

Rofl!! Sorry that about your mother was really funny. Im glad scrubby is enjoying your efforts now though :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby hooligan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:22 am

Hahaha, me too! I couldn't find TOPS anywhere near me, so I needed to order it online. I was so excited when it finally arrived, then in the end she poked the brownie I gave her, and looked at me with an expression that was like: "this isn't broccoli... i want broccoli..."

I think it's because I gave it to her while they were still warm. Except for sweet potatoes, she usually won't eat foods that aren't cold or room temperature. :/
hooligan
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure (Cinnamon Turquoise)
Flight: No

Postby LPolliard » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 pm

I had the same issue with TOPS being too dry and came to the same solution. Instead of scratch baking a batch I use the 75 cent box of corn bread muffin mix you can get at the grocery store. From a box I am able to cook up nine muffins, three for me with corn, three with corn, sprouted beans/sunflower seeds and crushed TOPS, and the last three with canned pumpkin, shredded carrots and TOPS. This way Chico gets a little variety. I freeze the muffins until needed. I feed Chico only about a quarter of a muffin a day so a batch will last three weeks, YMMV.
:eclectus: Chico
LPolliard
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus

Postby GreenWing » Mon May 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Bumping for GreyMoon birdie bread recipe
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 07, 2019 9:04 am

I am sorry, Greenwing, I don't mean to knock down every bump up and I know you are trying to help people out but, in all honesty, I would not use that recipe. I mean, it recommends red palm or coconut oil (not good), eggs (not good), peanut butter (not good) when you can make a perfectly good birdy bread that is actually good for them by using whole grain flours (or the mashed up Tops but it will be much cheaper and just as nutritious if they use whole grain flours like wheat, kamut, oat, rice, etc), pureed pumpkin, olive oil (she did use it instead of her recommended ones), yeast and grated or chopped veggies like zucchini, carrots, greens and even fresh corn OR fruits like apples, raisins, currants, banana (she did use a banana but that was about it), etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue May 07, 2019 11:53 am

Pajarita wrote:I am sorry, Greenwing, I don't mean to knock down every bump up and I know you are trying to help people out but, in all honesty, I would not use that recipe. I mean, it recommends red palm or coconut oil (not good), eggs (not good), peanut butter (not good) when you can make a perfectly good birdy bread that is actually good for them by using whole grain flours (or the mashed up Tops but it will be much cheaper and just as nutritious if they use whole grain flours like wheat, kamut, oat, rice, etc), pureed pumpkin, olive oil (she did use it instead of her recommended ones), yeast and grated or chopped veggies like zucchini, carrots, greens and even fresh corn OR fruits like apples, raisins, currants, banana (she did use a banana but that was about it), etc.

OK I see, but I think it's an excellent base that can be met with modifications. I would leave out the eggs and try an egg substitute (like applesauce). I swear up and down by olive oil so I would use that instead of coconut.
We should experiment ourselves by baking and posting pictures. It would be fun and also encourage birdie nutrition.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 08, 2019 9:01 am

Well, if you use a bread machine (and I SWEAR by them!) you don't really need to experiment because all you need to do is follow the amounts and settings they recommend for whole grain bread. If you use the same number of cups they recommend only mix different whole grain flours (I do not use anything else but whole grain), the yeast, oil and instead of all the water, use half and add pureed anything (I use pumpkin but baby food jars are also good -only much more expensive) plus 'goodies', it always comes out good for the birds (they are VERY forgiving when it comes to birdy bread.. too dry, no matter! too dense, better still! :lol: ).

But for anybody who needs a recipe (again, I highly recommend using a bread machine -super easy to use, quick because you don't have to do anything after putting the ingredients in it, and they are actually quite inexpensive because you don't need the kind with a million fancy settings and attachments) here goes a very simple one that is also very nutritious:

4 cups of whole grain flour (2 cups of whole wheat, 1 cup of oatmeal, 1 cup of coarse corn meal)
1 envelop of dry yeast
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 small can of pureed pumpkin
1 large grated carrot
1 medium grated zucchini
half a cup of currants, half a cup of chopped dates, half a cup of chopped dry figs, half a cup of canned corn (thoroughly drained), nuts (I use mostly walnuts and almonds because they retain the 'crunch') and enough water so the dough is pliant enough to be kneaded by the machine (I start with just a little bit and then add a bit more at a time as the machine starts to mix it until I see it's good enough)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet