Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

corkscrew hazel, is it safe?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

corkscrew hazel, is it safe?

Postby cml » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Ive been offered branches and am on the bus atm, so quick question, are they safe?
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: corkscrew hazel, is it safe?

Postby terri » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:27 pm

I havent heard of this kind before .But I know its very important to know.Seems to me Ive found out this info [should be able to google] safe branches for parrots. We use grape vine.I remember seeing a list .If their ok you should rinse them well.
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby marie83 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:58 am

Absolutely fine to use. Just make sure they aren't treated with anything.
I tend to give stuff like that a good soak in F10 followed by a quick scrub down with a nail brush we save for that purpose. Rinse them off, leave to dry then your ready to go :)
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby cml » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:47 am

marie83 wrote:Absolutely fine to use. Just make sure they aren't treated with anything.
I tend to give stuff like that a good soak in F10 followed by a quick scrub down with a nail brush we save for that purpose. Rinse them off, leave to dry then your ready to go :)

Thank you Marie, I was just about to start googling for it =)!

I know theyre not treated with anything, the branches are from my father in law's yard ;).
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby marie83 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:20 pm

Always nice to have access to branches from people you know. Having stripped the apple tree in my parents back garden of suitable branches were now taking away my partners parents willow and hazel whenever they prune them hehee.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Polarn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Haha funny how things brings you back, I actually googled some to find out the English name for it and to find a source to tell me it's safe. Well I've found plenty saying it is in Swedish but hey its unarguable that the information gathered in English far succeeds the information available in Swedish. But now I've got the information in both languages. I've been offered to buy "a couple" of these trees for about 20 bucks, even if I have plenty of trees around these are kind of neat looking. So gonna go ahead and prep an area and buy these and plant them and use for the birdies.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby HarryPotter69 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:24 pm

i once had a indian ring neck parrot baby and he started to talk a little bit but my cat scared him anf he flew away that day and never came back
HarryPotter69
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrots
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet