Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Peanuts?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Peanuts?

Postby MissLady9902 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:40 pm

Noodle gets into almonds just fine! She likes to bite the top off and eat it slowly so she gets all the pieces!
Almonds are her fav
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:33 am

I have heard about the fungi/mould/bacteria issues with peanuts (and other nuts) and have avoided giving them to my parrots because unless nuts are really fresh, they do go rancid quickly, even if they appear to be just fine (and they also still taste ok too).
I really like the idea of freezing the nuts, and boiling them too - both great ideas that make me want to try these foods with my birdies. I would be careful to defrost the nuts completely before giving them to my birds, because apparently cold foods can cause problems with a birds digestion. Any food i keep refrigerated for my birds, i let sit to adjust to room temperature, or run it under warm water until it warms up a bit.
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Postby miajag » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:16 pm

According to the link below, peanuts are lower in overall fat than almonds and walnuts, but higher in saturated fat:

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww48e.htm
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet