Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Our poor boy :( Charlie has an injury

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Our poor boy :( Charlie has an injury

Postby michellet » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:49 am

Today, after attempting to fly off of the top of his playgym, our fave boy Charlie (who is clipped) crash landed. My 11yo Thomas, who hand tamed and trained Charlie, picked him up to give him a cuddle and noticed a protruding lump on his lower breast area. On closer inspection there was a crusty, dry lump. It obviously wasnt a recent injury, but we werent sure what it was, but it looked nasty. Thomas instantly thought the worst and went into panic mode and began crying at the thought of possibly losing his precious pet and companion. We jumped in the car and raced to the breeder we get all our birds from, as the closest avian vet is quite some distance from us, Instantly he knew what had happened. Charlie must have crash landed previously and had broken his breast bone, almost breaking the skin on his lower breast. Our gorgeous boy just lay quietly in his hand while he gently felt him over, and showed us the small space where the break is. We left the breeder a short time later with Charlie comfortable in a small holding cage without any perches for him to fall from, antibiotics to put in his water as a precautionary measure for the next 10 days, and instructions to keep him quiet for the next 10-14 days to give the bone time to heal. I have one very relieved 11yo son, who is being very loving, attentive, and protective of his little friend. I'm hopeful he'll make a full recovery, but i'm also trying to prepare both Thomas and his sister for the possibility that it may not end well. Charlie showed no sign of illness or injury before the lump was noticed this morning and has been eatiing well, moving about normally, playing in his cage with his pal Snowy, and climbing all over the playgym with Missy our green cheek conure....so that keeps me hopeful and optimistic.

Before anyone starts about the clipping issue....all our birds were clipped when we got them and we are in the process of letting their flight feathers grow back, and intend for them all to eventually be flighted. Snowy is already there and having a flighted bird in the house is amazing :) Although I think Charlies injury is a result of him attempting to fly when Snowy takes off from the playgym...Charlie tries to follow him.

Does anyone here have any experience with birds that have sustained this type of injury? Do you have any further advice?
Feathered kids
:budgie: Charlie (tame)
:budgie: Snowy (tame)
:gcc: Missy (tame)
:pied: Skittles (tame)

Non-feathered kids
Emma - 14yo
Tom - 11yo

Michelle - Me :)
michellet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
cinnamon green cheek conure
lutino cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Our poor boy :( Charlie has an injury

Postby meowingaround » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:02 am

On Monday I broke Willows middle toe on the left foot, he is also on antibiotics and today I noticed he is bearing a little weight the tip of that nail.

So sorry for you I know how hard it is when they are hurt.

The eating is a huge plus factor for optimism.

Providing mushy foods and nuts high in calcium was also suggested to me by Michael.

I'm gonna go find the link to my stuff cause he posted a bunch of his links which helped me tremendously :)

http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= ... oming+Home

http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= ... t+Followup

http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= ... nciliation

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2875

those are the links he posted for me to help me :)

Good luck with nursing your baby back to good health.
“Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.” Victor Hugo
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels

Postby zazanomore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:57 am

Poor Charlie :(

I hope nothing like this ever happens to my fids.

I hope he has a quick recovery!
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Budgies

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:21 pm

I hate to be the big grouch, but I'd go to the actual avian vet. Most vets are adamant that using over-the-counter antibiotics you put in the water is ineffective at best and harmful at worst.

Here's hoping Charlie feels better soon!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby meowingaround » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:45 am

Over the counter drops?

I don't believe that's what my vet gave me *eyebrow* he put it in a dropper/syringe thingy special for birds *confused*

From what I've read it sounds terribly frightening.. wishing Charlie the best

Hope you can get him to an avian vet *nod nod*
“Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.” Victor Hugo
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Postby michellet » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:26 am

Thanks for all the advice and support :)

Charlie seems to be doing very well. He's continuing to eat and drink normally, and his weight has stayed stable. I'm thankful that we implemented a regular weighing routine a few weeks ago, as its come in really handy in this situation to known that Charlies not losing weight. He's not entirely happy about being in solitary confinement....he's desparately missing his cage-mate Snowy :( They call to each other from opposite ends of the house. I tried locating his "hospital box" closer to Snowy and their usual cage so they can see each other, but this seems to just make him agitated and he paces back and forth, so I've returned him to the other end of the house. In general though he seems to be his usual happy self. Thomas is gently taking Charlie from his cage a couple of times a day, and letting him walk around on his bed (safely away from the edge) and he happily hangs out with Thomas for a while, snuggling as usual, and nibbling on treats.

Due to distance and finacial reasons, and most importantly because Charlie seems to be doing so well, we havent been to an avian vet as yet. But if his condition deteriorates in any way we will go straight away.

Thanks again for all your well wishes
xoxox
Feathered kids
:budgie: Charlie (tame)
:budgie: Snowy (tame)
:gcc: Missy (tame)
:pied: Skittles (tame)

Non-feathered kids
Emma - 14yo
Tom - 11yo

Michelle - Me :)
michellet