Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman is Not Eating Well

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Truman is Not Eating Well

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Truman is such a clutz!!!! That poor guy!
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby birdvet » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:22 am

Poor Truman, he is so accident prone ;). The cere injury looks fine, nothing to worry about. Follow up rads are a great idea to check his pelvic injury and also assess whole body. One of the most common injuries birds get when flying into windows is to break their coracoids. However, you say he flew back up to shoulder after smashing into the window so the likelihood of a fractured coracoid is low because this bone is used for gaining lift in flight.

Full body rads will give you peace of mind though :D
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:34 am

Just wanted to report on Truman's recovery progress. In the last week and a half since I began physical therapy exercises with Truman, his overall health has recovered to 98% of where he was at before the accident.

Interestingly, what I had discovered after beginning the physical therapy stuff is that it was actually his good leg that was more restricted than his injured leg. After over a month and a half of immobility and spending all the time standing on that one leg, it became very stiff. Sure it became a good support for holding all his weight while he kept the injured leg up, but it also lost the ability to move around freely. By last week he was able to step up but only with his previously injured leg. So at that point he was mainly limping cause his good leg was out of practice rather than the injured leg which had gotten a lot of attention.

So I focused physical therapy exercises on the good leg for a week and he is much better now. He is climbing around his cage freely and can step up with either leg. His weight still isn't up to 330g max which it had been prior to the accident but he's been maintaining a stable 305g-320g range.

The only reason I don't say he's 100% recovered is because he still has a slight lean that puts more weight on the good leg. Also he doesn't stand up as tall as he used to although he's definitely close to there. His mental health is definitely recovered. I have not only been able to teach him a new trick since his recovery but he also remembers all the old ones. He now knows recall, target, fetch, wave, and shake. I'll probably have to start teaching him a new trick soon. Also I've been doing some new taming exercises with him. I guess I won't tell you here but will make a video to share :mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lzver » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 am

Glad to hear he's almost there. Both of you been through a lot in the last couple months, so I'm sure you're both releaved he can concentrate on being a parrot again and not have to worry about his health as much :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:01 pm

YAY! That is great news! :danicing:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby sidech » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Great news ! It's good to know Truman is getting back on his two feet. I notice he's losing more and more of his orange color, too. He's starting to look like a grown up !
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby gizmo101 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:36 am

this sounds crazy and im not sure what trumans species is allowed to eat but if he likes honey maybe honey on toast???
i know when my was very sick upchucking his food that is the only thing he ate that he kept down and he loved it

but also my bird gizmo is a cockatiel so he is very different

hope that helps!
just because you dont know something why cant your bird teach you
gizmo and georgia cockateils
gizmo101
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Ok, I think I can now finally report that I believe Truman is now 100% healed of his injury. It has been over 2 months since the injury and last night for the first time, I spotted his maximum weight at the same point it was at prior to the accident (330g). He walks fine now both on the perch and on the floor. He climbs around his cage freely. He no longer leans one way and stands up tall. He can step up with either leg and on occasion uses his non-dominate foot for grabbing things. And he's just as big a pain in the butt as before the accident, so I know he's just fine.

The only thing I'm not certain about is if his climb is as strong as it used to be as it is hard to compare. But to strengthen this I hold him low when I want him to step up on a perch. This way he has to use more muscle and exercise to step up higher. Regardless, I think there is no way you could tell he was ever injured unless I told you.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:37 pm

This is excellent news! And it is thanks to you that he recovered so well. Without your patience and care, not to mention money for the vet, he probably would not have recovered 100% ever.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:30 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scooter :gcc: