Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman is Not Eating Well

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Truman is Not Eating Well

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:38 am

Still not eating well or drinking this morning. I think he munched a couple pellets but hardly and meaningful amount. Likewise he took a tiny sip of water but no more. It's been getting harder getting medication into him as he fights it and shakes it off.

He did take a flight again this morning. I walked away to get his medication and he followed me but I didn't provide him a landing opportunity in time so he flew to the blinds. I didn't grab him off of them. I just stood around and waited till he flew down to me himself.

Do you think he's just trying to play me with the food? If this was Kili doing this, I'd be sure she was not eating the good food on purpose just so she could get treats. But with Truman being so young/dumb and his condition I'm not so sure. If I stick a pellet in his beak he just spits it back out. Yet he can eat almonds like there's no tomorrow!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Mona » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Michael:

Well, this is a worry.
What does comfort Truman? What can you do to make him as comfortable as possible.
I think you are getting good advice on your blog here. It is difficult to understand why Truman is not eating but just keep watching his weight very carefully.
Take care...

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby lzver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Michael wrote:Do you think he's just trying to play me with the food? If this was Kili doing this, I'd be sure she was not eating the good food on purpose just so she could get treats. But with Truman being so young/dumb and his condition I'm not so sure. If I stick a pellet in his beak he just spits it back out. Yet he can eat almonds like there's no tomorrow!

It could be that he's holding out for the good stuff. I know I go through periods of time when my two ignore their pellets and wait for better stuff ... but I've never dealt with a situation where they have been sick/injured. I think you're doing all you can for him at this point. I'd just keep watching his weight and keep doing what you're doing to try and get him to eat. It sounds promising that he's interested in and has the energy for tricks and flying. Definitely sounds like he's getting some energy back.

Do you have another follow-up with the vet at some point to see how his pelvic bone is healing? Then again, I can't say I'd blame you if you were reluctant to take him back there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:06 pm

I do not think Truman is holding out for the good stuff. He is not feeling well and that's clearly why he's not eating. Any attempt to withhold any type of food that he might willingly eat would be a mistake at this point in my opinion. At his age I'd be doubtful about his ability to manipulate you for better food anyway and no bird is going to starve themselves in an effort to wait it out for something they like better.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:12 pm

The hand feeding stuff came in and Truman had a fantastic feeding! Took him up from 308g-320g in one shot. I spoke to Jean after and she suggested feeding him in smaller amounts but more frequently to avoid crop stretching. I'll try to make a video and article about his hand feeding progress tonight.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lzver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Great news Micheal!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:38 pm

That's awesome! I wonder if the trauma caused him to revert to a state of wanting to be handfed? Did he take it down immediately?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Mona » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:45 pm

That's good news Michael. I am glad that you are talking to Jean. She has a lot of experience with the Capes and is probably your best source for help and information. Glad to hear Truman is eating!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Kim S » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:04 pm

That is great news! I'm so glad you decided to order the handrearingfood. At least this gives Truman a chance to get his weight up and his energy back.

Overall I agree with pchella. I dont think he is holding out for the good stuff. But even if he was, this would be a very bad timing to lay down the foodlaw. He needs all the input he can get.
I support the regression-idea. How long had he been off the handrearingfood? Not very long, right? In the wild most parrotbabies get partially fed by their parents till they are almost a year old. African greys even till they are three! So it doesnt really surprise me he reverted back to puddin' :D

Just spoil him for a while. And dont forget Killi! I have a couple of tiel babies over (my friend that owns them is on a holliday) that still get handfed three times a day, and Kika loves to lick the spoon I stir the formula with :roll:
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Whew! I'm glad he's getting some nutrition! Hopefully that will help him feel better and he'll get more interested in eating on his own.... I'm thinking about him often and hoping to hear good news!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet