Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman is Not Eating Well

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Truman is Not Eating Well

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Michael wrote:Once again, behavior and use of foot is slightly improved. Weight is even less again. Now he is operating in a range of 300-305g and more recently 295-300g. I haven't hand fed him for several days now and he is definitely eating on his own. But with each progressive day his weight is a little bit less.

I have been taking him out into the open aviary a few times and he seems to like it. He flies a lot at home but not in the aviary. He seems pretty fed up with being in the tub but I'm worried that he might fall in the cage.

Maybe not being in his cage is making him depressed? Maybe you could try it and see how he does? Birds and animals in general are surprisingly resilient. :thumbsup:

If you don't want to try I understand completely! Such an injury is so scary. I hope he gets better soon, he sounds like he is on the mend, little by little. Scritches for Truman!!! :D
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby birdvet » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Michael wrote:Truman barfed up the hand feeding formula I recently gave him. Not sure if there is a greater problem or if it is the result of over feeding. Jean suggested not feeding him any more formula for 12-24 hours and establishing the trend with his weight. I have been "artificially" forcing him to hold 305g-315g by hand feeding him up to maintain that balance. It's possible that he has lost more body weight and thus to get him to 315g I'm over stuffing his crop on food. She suggested starting over again and letting him get more empty and drop in weight and see what he maintains to get a base line weight to work from.

I wonder if he could have a dose of candida? Combo of handrearing formula and possibly stress from his injury etc. Its just a thought as regurgitation is one of the classic signs of this (and of course for a range of other things), and also weight loss.

How do his pectoral muscles feel? He may be losing muscle mass from reduced exercise?

You're having such a rough time with the little guy, hope things start to improve soon... :senegal:
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Actually, I'd like to report the first major stages of improvement. For the last two weeks Truman has been on a steady trend of improvement and the last few days have provided the most noticeable signs of this. His weight has been increasing for sure now. Every morning his full weight has been higher than the previous and the lowest weight is also higher. His normal weight used to be in the 320g-330g range. At his lowest he reached 295g-300g. Now that he's on the mend I've been seeing 300g-310g, 305g-315g, and recently 310g-320g. He's definitely putting some weight back on now and his leg is improving. Though he limps, he can step up now.

Today I put Truman back in his cage for the first time in over a month. He's so thrilled. And he completely remembers everything like where his water bottle is, etc. I'm really excited to see him doing so much better.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pfinarffle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:14 am

good to hear he's doing better! i made a pilgrimmage to bird paradise in nj this weekend. saw two capes duking it out on a java tree. made me think of truman. man, they can get loud!
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby lzver » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 am

I've been wondering how Truman has been doing. I'm happy to hear that you're seeing steady improvement now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Yay, Truman! Good to hear!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:42 pm

How awesome!!! Yay for Truman! :danicing:

And Michael, seriously, super props to you for handling this all so well. You are an awesome parront, lol!!!!

:thumbsup:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby el-parrot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Michael wrote:Actually, I'd like to report the first major stages of improvement. For the last two weeks Truman has been on a steady trend of improvement and the last few days have provided the most noticeable signs of this. His weight has been increasing for sure now. Every morning his full weight has been higher than the previous and the lowest weight is also higher. His normal weight used to be in the 320g-330g range. At his lowest he reached 295g-300g. Now that he's on the mend I've been seeing 300g-310g, 305g-315g, and recently 310g-320g. He's definitely putting some weight back on now and his leg is improving. Though he limps, he can step up now.

Today I put Truman back in his cage for the first time in over a month. He's so thrilled. And he completely remembers everything like where his water bottle is, etc. I'm really excited to see him doing so much better.

that sure is Image!!
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Postby birdvet » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:54 pm

YAY!!! That's awesome news :D
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:21 am

Truman crashed into a window this morning. Not at my place. He's never flown into a house window but this was a large office window so I guess the cues of the window frame he's used to seeing weren't there. I was just carrying him through and he took off suddenly for no reason (no fright, noise, etc). He flew one way, did a 180 and flew back the other way past me and into the window. He bounced off the window, hit a cushioned chair below, and then flew low and back onto me.

The thing I was absolutely most worried about was him busting his leg again. Luckily it appears that the leg went unharmed. The only immediately visible damage is that he scratched his nose between the ceres. The thin patch of skin between the cere is scraped almost to the point of bleeding but no blood. I'm not sure how to disinfect this or what to do so I am leaving it alone. I have no way of knowing any internal damage but he seems alright otherwise. He seemed inactive in the aviary so I brought him back home to his cage.

I've been contemplating on and off for the last few weeks whether or not I should bring him back to the vet for a followup visit about the leg. There were times of progress and then long periods of no progress at all. Some days he'd be eating great and then he'd go back to days of barely eating at all. There were days when he would stand well on both legs and step up. And then there were days when he would stand on one leg most of the time.

Well now with this recent development, I decided that it would be good for Truman to go back to the vet. I want them to disinfect and check the scrape on his nose (or whatever you call that area right above the beak and between the ceres). Also I'll have them do an xray. Since they xray the bird in whole, we can use the same xray to check for any skull/neck damage besides seeing how the pelvic bone healed up. The soonest appointment I could get is 3:30PM.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet