Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Franken-toe

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Franken-toe

Postby Rueae » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 am

Alas, my darling Ophelia has a weird something going on with a digit on her right foot.
I noticed this when I first saw her and brought it to the attention of the shop keeper. He expressed his surprise at the oddity and promptly hid her in the back room.
Well, needless to say, that wasn't what I was looking for. I just wanted to know if she was hurt (as there seemed to be the possibility of it being recent since the keeper had no idea of it), but they just hid her away and left it at that.

You think they would have realized I wanted her for all of my inquires, but maybe they assumed she disgusted me. Anyway, after waiting around for quite awhile, anxious for any information and being ignored...I went and asked the shop keeper where he took her and if I could buy her. He said yes and here we are.

So my concerns now are...how will this effect my care for her? Do you think this is painful for her? (She doesn't seem to be in any, but it looks quite uncomfortable.) Will she be able to file it on sand perches the same as any other? Is there a way I can...pop it into the right placement? What do you guys think of the situation?

Photos:
A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Franken-toe

Postby Rueae » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:18 am

Also, I realize that this probably isn't the place for such questions seeing as it has nothing to do with "illness", but I really must ask just to see what is said and...I already made this topic.
I don't know it seems kind of silly to make a new one for it.

/cough
Anyway...
Question one: Is Ophelia a female or do I need to go about bequeathing a new name?
Question two: Is Ophelia albino?

Photographic evidence:

As you can see in the first photo Ophelia boasts a rather brown/crusty looking cere. I am well aware that this tends to mean female. However, I have heard that often lutino and albino do not change cere color are they have so many recessive genes...so it leads me to wonder.
In the second photo, you see Ophelia (decidedly not taking a bath :P) sitting upon the rim of a bowl. In this photo it is clear to see a very...teal-like color on her. I assure you this is not because of the bowl. It just happens to be one that shows this color off rather well. (Also, one of my personal favorites, despite the fact that is seems to be too big and got cropped by the forum. :P) This small amount of color leads me to wonder if she is albino or...just whiteish?
You may also notice her eyes are...light blue and pink? They seem to change when I look at them, even when I take photos. I recall my mind registering pink eyes in the store, but I see quite clearly a very light blue or even white color now that I watch her often.

I'm very curious as to what will be said of this situation as well. :3
Rueae
Cockatiel

Postby Kim S » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:12 am

I am pretty sure she is a female. And I dont think she is an albino. Does she have red eyes? i will bet she doesnt.
In fact, I am sure she is a double factor spangle. The normal spangle only has a black edge on the wings in stead of the usual black markings. In df spagles all the markings dissapear and also fades the bodycolour to nearly nothing. Only around the vent and tail area can you see some colour.

See this site for more informarion: http://www.budgieplace.com/c_spangle.html
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Postby Rue » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 am

I think her foot will be fine...but you should keep an eye on that nail, and keep it trimmed short and filed blunt to min. the chances of it getting caught anywhere.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:27 pm

It would be a good idea to have a baseline health check with a good bird vet anyway, so you could get a professional opinion on that toe at the same time.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Rueae » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Mm, well, I'm not sure what I was expecting but I still feel vaguely relieved. :3
Thanks guys.
Rueae
Cockatiel

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet