Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Princess Parrot beak looking bad

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Princess Parrot beak looking bad

Postby Aussieseb » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:42 am

I recently bought Clyde as mate for Bonnie.
I noticed beak holes dont look like Bonnie.
Whats wrong with Clyde?
Eating fine.
Getting on well with Bonnie
Any help appreciate on what to do.
Thank you
Attachments
20240407_161613.jpg
Beak
Aussieseb
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Princess Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Princess Parrot beak looking bad

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:28 am

Hmmm, it could be a consequence of previous trauma but I don't like the 'flaking?' (not sure what to call it) on the cere so, if I were you, I would have him tested for PBFD.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Aussieseb » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:38 pm

Does not look as PBFD. Feathers on head and body all normal. Given the amount of damage on top of beak would have expected to see other signs if PBFD.
Mites?
Aussieseb
Parakeet

Postby Aussieseb » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:47 am

I had closer look at the bird. Thinking it's a genetic defect as the beak is not centered comes from top right to left.
Aussieseb
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:38 am

Well, if it was a genetic defect, it would not get better or worse and, going by the peeling? flaking? erosion? on the lower left side of the nare to the right of the picture, it not only does not look congenital (birds might be born with a crooked beak and even with no beak but they are not born with a chip missing from it) but it also looks as if it's progressing. As to her feathers being OK being a sign that it is not PBFD, I am sorry but that is not true. PBFD is an insidious disease with a very wide range of 'looks'... there are even birds that die from the disease without showing any external symptoms.

Mind you, it could be a lot of things but, personally, my motto is that if there is the smallest sign of anything bad, I test. Better safe than sorry because, if it is, you need to immediately separate it from the other one or you can end up with two sick birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet