Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel Only Eats Sunflower Seeds

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Cockatiel Only Eats Sunflower Seeds

Postby Hyac1nth » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:10 pm

Hi,

I got my male cockatiel, Pikachu, just a little over a week ago now. I feed him the Hagen premium bird seed mix sold on Amazon, as that’s the same brand of seed mix his previous owner used to feed him and I didn’t want to change it up too much in case he doesn’t eat anything. This seed mix has sunflower seeds, legumes, and fruits in it. Problem is, he will only pick out the sunflower seeds and eat those but not touch anything else. I don’t want to feed him too much sunflower seeds because I know they’re fatty but I’m afraid if I stop giving him sunflower seeds he will not eat anything else and die. He is afraid of my hands, I tried offering food in my palm before but he panics and goes to the corner of the cage and shakes.

What can I do? Please help!
Hyac1nth
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiel Only Eats Sunflower Seeds

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:37 am

Welcome to the forum and sorry I did not reply sooner -had trouble with computer. First of all and regardless what you were told by the previous owner, tiels are no supposed to be free-fed seeds. They should have a 'seed' dinner but it needs to be a good quality budgie mis with some small pieces of walnuts. You can also give him some other sort of nut, but walnuts have the best omegas ratio,

I would strongly suggest you switch him to glooo and raw produce for breakfast and all day picking and the budgie/nut mix just for dinner because, if he has been eating mainly seeds all along, his liver and kidneys might already be compromised (you don't say how long he has been eating the bad seed mix) but, in the meantime, pick all the sunflower seeds off the mix.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet