Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Chance plucked - first time

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Chance plucked - first time

Postby GreenWing » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:03 am

Poor Chance. I'm not sure what's going on with her. During the night she plucked all her feathers on her chest. I've had her for ten years and this has never happened.

Only changes? We did get a new vacuum cleaner she hates, she puffs her feathers when we use it so we'll stop using it. We've only used it a few times.

I'm not sure what else it going on. I have been dealing with stress and I'm expecting a baby/I'm 7 months now. I think Chance knows. And I wonder if that's why she laid an egg, too, during this time.

What can I do to help her? I'm calling her avian vet on Monday, first thing. Thank you.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Chance plucked - first time

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:15 am

Oh, geez, I am so sorry! I think that the first plucking incident is much much worse on the human than on the bird. Are you allowing her to nest? Because I seriously doubt she plucked because of a vacuum cleaner (most parrots bathe when they hear one running) and I am sure that your pregnancy has nothing to do with it (if she thinks anything of it -which I doubt- it's that you got fat). Most likely, it's hormones and frustration that is doing it so, again, I insist: strict diet, strict solar schedule, no petting anywhere but on the head and neck and give her a nest. I have found that trying to stop them from nesting is EXACTLY the opposite of what they need.

Both my CAG hens are going into breeding and chewing boxes like crazy -so much so that my husband is constantly complaining about having to sweep the floors 4 times a day :lol: And, Doobis, the one that came to me about a year ago plucked (neck, chest, abdomen and top of her wings and back) has not touched a single feather -thus, my reply to my husband's complaints: "Yes, there is confetti everywhere but not a single feather from Doobis". So, observe her and determine where she wants her nest -she will choose a corner and will scratch the floor and chew the molding on the wall- and put a nice thick cardboard box there (Amazon and/or Chewy boxes are good for that).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:55 am

I forgot one point. The neighbors cats have been coming around and she sees them outside the window.

We haven't been touching the bird after the egg laying incident. Just some head scratches. No, I haven't been encouraging the nesting. It might be an idea to get another grey as a companion for her, eventually.

Is it possible this is a molt happening? We've seen a lot of feathers fall in the last few days. But this morning woke up to a bunch of feathers on the bottom of the cage. Her chest is mostly bare. If it is a molt I would be surprised.

I'll keep you posted after I talk to her vet.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:19 am

No, it's not a molt. When birds molt, you don't really see any holes in their plumage - that is the way Nature made it because a full plumage is super important to survival so they only molt half their plumage per year and very gradually.

Bringing another bird might not be the solution... Greys are incredibly difficult to get to bond with another bird, even if they are of the same species and opposite gender. What you need to do is allow her to nest, lay her eggs and incubate them. This will reduce her anxiety tremendously. The vet cannot do anything because the issue is not a physical ailment and that's all they study about - if anything, he will tell you to use Lupron, something that I do not agree with at all for several reasons that I can elaborate on, if you want.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:23 pm

Update on Chance.
So, she's in veterinary care. She has an enlarged abdomen. No egg is felt, but the enlarged abdomen is affecting her kidneys.

She's going in for x-rays. Will post more info as soon as I know.

Please keep Chance on your thoughts.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby GreenWing » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:36 pm

Update: Chance has a kidney infection. Confirmed by x-ray. It also explains the plucking, as she is sick/has been in pain. The infection happened after she released the egg. She needs some diet modification for her kidney health and is taking medicine (antibiotics). We had a tough time getting her to take the medicine but finally did so after putting it on a treat.

Whenever your bird plucks, take them to an avian vet right away, because the issue might be an illness.

Hopefully Chance will start doing better as the medicine takes effect. Will continue to update.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:41 am

Glad you found a problem that can be solved. Now, with kidney issues, the MOST important thing is hydration, hydration, hydration so no pellets, no dried fruits, no dry seeds no nothing that is less than 85% water. Black cherries and cranberries are good for kidneys. Try putting the meds in a syringe with baby food.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she will get better and stop plucking.

And watch her poops, her urine should be clear and abundant.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby GreenWing » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:12 am

Thank you, yes, the avian vet told us similar about the diet modifications.

She seems a little more lively after two days of antibiotics. But, yesterday I had a lot of trouble getting her to drink. She doesn't like the medicine we are putting in her dish. I tried chamomile tea, she took two small sips. She refused the juice I offered her. She refused water this morning. I gave her pomegranate, that's mostly juice, and now I'm soaking bread in water to get some fluids in her.

She's being SO resistant, it's really difficult.

And now, she's suddenly claustrophobic about sleeping in her cage. She doesn't pluck as long as she is outside of the cage. If we put her in, she plucks. So, she's been sleeping on her perch.

I had a manzanita tree years ago but didn't think she wanted it. Now, I regret getting rid of it.

Any advice about getting more fluids in her and helping with her sudden aversion to her cage?
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:45 am

Give her ONLY wet food: gloop, fresh juicy fruits (orange, berries, ripe pears, etc) and juicy veggies (tomatoes, corn on the cob, etc). As long as she is not eating anything dry, she will get enough hydration with the wet diet and the bit of water she drinks early in the am and in the evening because that is EXACTLY what Nature intended for them (there is nothing dry in nature for them to eat).

As to her not liking her cage... well, who can blame her? I really do not have a lot of personal experience convincing them to go into their cages because mine go on their own when it's their dinner time. There is a process with new birds but it never lasts more than a couple of days, they do 'take a step back' a couple of times but, after that, they never again balk at it because once they realize that they only eat dinner (which they LOVE because is nuts) and sleep in the cage, they have no problem going in... quite the contrary, they are eager for it. Yogi Macaw came to me with the 'warning' that 'he likes his freedom' but now he goes in as soon as I open the door and, if his bowl does not have his nuts yet, he hangs from the door asking for them. Between their desire for nuts and the deepening twilight, the whole thing works like a charm. To give you an idea, this time of the year, I open their cages with a "Good morning!" at 7 am (when the sky is beginning to get a tiny bit of light), turn on their lights at 9am, off at 3:30 pm and give them dinner (when they go back into their cages) at 5:30 pm. It's not me who trains them to do this, it's their circadian cycle that does it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby GreenWing » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:09 pm

OK, this is excellent, thank you!
I gave her chop: broccoli, apple, pomegranate, and other fruits/veggies (no beans or anything the vet said to not give). She ate it; her appetite is good.

One thing I meant to mention is that crystals were found in her urine, too.
GreenWing
African Grey

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet