Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

CAG - regurgitating/ vomiting

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

CAG - regurgitating/ vomiting

Postby Rienka » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:53 pm

Hello,

We have a 10 months old female CAG. During Christmas we lost our macaw to crop infection (he was vomiting and then was staying at the vet) and since then she sometimes vomits/regurgitate bit of food. She is on pellet diet and she gets little bit of seeds and veggies/fruit. She has been seen by vet and he didnt find anything wrong with her crop. Its not every day but it is often. It happens usually around 7 p.m., when I am feeding my human baby in other room and only my husband is around her. He is at work all day so she only sees him for a bit before she goes to sleep but I am with her all day. She never did it when I am in the room and never during day. Her dropings are normal, she is talkative and playful. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem? Could it be death of a friend or she could be jealous/hateful of my husband or something?

Thank you for any help. :gray:
Rienka
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: CAG - regurgitating/ vomiting

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:05 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. First of all, you need to determine if she is vomiting or regurgitating because they are two completely different things. Vomiting is involuntary and when the food in the crop is expelled with a certain amount of force (they usually end up with mess all over themselves) while regurgitating is completely voluntary and 'neat' (they will bob their head and deposit the food either on a paw, a toy, a perch or wherever. Jealousy, dislike of a person or mourning will not cause it - only birds that are alone and overly hormonal will do it but your bird is still a juvenile so that cannot be the cause, either.

Now, what really worries me is that you say that your macaw died of a 'crop infection'... not that there isn't such a thing because there is (could be fungal -aka sour crop- bacterial and even parasitical) but no parrot dies of these infections as they can all be treated. What is always fatal, affects the crop and has vomiting as a symptom is PDD (proventricular dilation disease -bornavirus) which is also quite contagious. So, I strongly urge you to have a talk with the vet that treated the macaw for the exact cause of its death and have her tested for this disease because, if the macaw hd it and they were together, she most likely has it, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet