Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

finger anomaly (?)

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

finger anomaly (?)

Postby Albej » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:38 am

Dear fellow owners,
This is my first post on here, please be kind if I used this post in any unusual way.
I am very affectionate to my cockatiel who has always been privileged with incredible health.
Lately, I have noticed something weird under one of his fingers, it appears puffy.
I don't know if I'm panicking over nothing. Hope you can help me.
All the best

:greycockatiel:
Attachments
photo_2022-09-08_16-32-08.jpg
Albej
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: finger anomaly (?)

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:18 am

Hi, Albej and tiel, welcome to the forum! Yes, It does look abnormal. Does the bottom look reddish or of a darker pink than the rest of the foot? Because if it does and his perches are dowels, it could be the beginning of bumblefoot - and sand perches make it worse. Sand perches are the worst but even plain dowels do it because the bird ends up always putting pressure in the same spots. They need natural tree branches with bark (not 'peeled' like dowels) of different diameters and put into different angles. If any part of the bottom of the foot looks irritated, please wrap either paper towels or some other soft material around the perches and provide a platform, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Albej » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:56 am

Thank you Pajarita, your answer was so fast and professional!
I have examined the bird and it looks like the color is normal, but yes finger is surely oversized.
I'm going to replace the dowel perches with natural branches as you suggested. Then I'll wrap them with soft materials.
Do you think I need to take any other measures?
Albej
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:39 pm

Not unless the skin on the bottom of the toe or foot turns red or opens up which could indicate infection. Mind you, don't get impatient, it takes a bit of time for the foot to heal. If the 'bump' does not disappear with this, observe the bird for as long as you can to see if it picks at it. Lone birds, especially aviary species (tiels, budgies, lovies, etc) do develop abnormal behaviors (overpreening, barbering, plucking, etc) and they become kind of obsessed over certain things -like picking at something that they decide should not be there... I have a female senegal (Zoey) that is obsessed over picking teeny tiny scabs she herself makes with her little claws on my shoulders (it's summer here so I wear sleeveless dresses).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet