Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Walnuts vs Macadamias

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Walnuts vs Macadamias

Postby CandaceC » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:08 pm

I recently read an article about walnuts and macadamia nuts for birds. Is one more nutritious than the other? My Quaker, 3 months old loves macadamia nuts, but is just so-so about walnuts. It’s so fascinating to introduce new things to my little one but I want to ensure the right balance of nutrition.
CandaceC
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker, Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: Walnuts vs Macadamias

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:29 am

All nuts are OK for parrots, even a couple of peanuts (which are not really nuts but legumes) are fine every now and then -more for variety than anything else. Now, as to the comparable nutrition, they are pretty much the same EXCEPT for macadamias being much higher in fat and saturated fat and lower in omega 3 so, in reality, walnuts are much better than macadamias. I always have, at least, 3 if not 4 different kinds of nuts and kind of switch what I give them but walnuts are always served because they are highest in omega 3 and have the lowest omega 3 to 6 ratio.

Below, two charts on nut nutrition comparison:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/nut-nutri ... rt-1328752

https://vegfaqs.com/omega-3-to-6-fat-ratio-nuts/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet