Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pulverizing Pellets

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Pulverizing Pellets

Postby cafanelli » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:47 pm

Hi, I have a 24 year old African Senegal that recently started pulverizing her pellets almost to dust. I am sure she is eating some of them but I am having to refill her dish every day using far more pellets than usual.

Otherwise she seems perfectly normal. She is healthy and enjoys time with me out of her cage every evening. She does not pluck her feathers and eats her treats and fruits and vegetables as usual.

Should I be concerned?
cafanelli
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Pulverizing Pellets

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:14 am

Well, after many years of research into parrots natural diets, I concluded that pellets are not and never will be the best dietary option for them, and I also do not agree with free-feeding protein food but, having said that, I would not worry too much unless she becomes underweight which could mean that she is not eating enough or that her liver is now compromised by free-feeding pellets. Why don't you try to feed her gloop? It's SOOOOOO much healthier than pellets...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby everybeen » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:45 am

Unless she starts losing weight, which might imply she isn't eating enough or that the free-feeding pellets have damaged her liver, I wouldn't worry too much. dordle
everybeen
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:59 am

You can NOT wait until there are symptoms of liver failure, that's ridiculous! It's like saying 'Until you have symptoms of cancer, I would not worry too much over smoking"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet