Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Old birds...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Old birds...

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:14 am

I am posting this article on a turkey hen found to be over 12 years old (they were thought to live no more than 3) for two reasons. 1) that we do not know anywhere enough about birds, not even their average lifespan and 2) that old birds do not look or act old. I have a friend that fosters for Mickaboo and has birds of his own that recently asked how to improve the quality of life of his birds because his old lovebird was slowing down a lot to which I immediately replied to take him to the vet ASAP because birds do NOT slow down when they are old. And it was a good thing because he had an infection and liver damage, he was put on meds and he is gaining weight and getting back his mojo.

NEVER assume that a bird that slows down is doing it because of age, it's ALWAYS because of a medical issue.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/penns ... ee163da5df
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet