Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Itchy Senegal...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Itchy Senegal...

Postby stevesjk » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:30 am

Hi.

You may not remember me, I posted way back in 2018 about an intensely itchy Senegal. Fast forward to 2022 and the problem still persists.

Two avian vets later and I think we finally have a diagnosis. High levels of zinc in the blood - zinc toxicity basically.

It's been a 4 year ordeal, changing up foods as allergies were suspected, humidifiers and spraying up to 4 times a day as dry air was suggested as a possible cause, oh but thoroughly drying everything afterwards as not to cause fungal infections which are also itchy. Also, actually treating for fungal infections. All been made much harder as I'm in a wheelchair with mobility issues with my hands. I'm mentally exhausted.

The treatment prescribed, chelation. 10 days in a row of injections straight into a muscle (very painful) only the vet can do it so she would have to go to the vet every day and 10 days is minimum, she has to go every day after until symptoms stop but I've been told this would be highly stressful on her liver which is already struggling and might not even work.

I have decided that this is far too invasive for a little bird, hell I'd have to think twice if it was a dog so I'm going to try to keep her as comfortable as possible then if symptoms get too bad I will more than likely have her put to sleep as according to the vet and all my research this extremely invasive and painful treatment is the only way to get the zinc out of her organs.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Itchy Senegal...

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:34 am

Well, it's good that you finally have a diagnosis even though you do not specify where the bird got the zinc from - which, I think, it's very important so as to prevent further exposure. And, yes, the chelation treatment is, indeed, invasive and stressful to birds but it does save their lives so I am afraid that I don't agree with your decision. For one thing, I would do anything in my power to save the life of any of my animals and even ones that are not mine. For another, I think of it as something similar to chemo - it's pretty bad to go through it but people (and animals) do it because it's the only thing that will, hopefully, allow them to survive cancer. The difference between chelation and chemo is that while chemo might not work, chelation always does. And the other thing that I would consider is that the poor thing is already in high discomfort and pain all the time so keeping it alive until its organs fail from the poison is not doing it any favors so the choice is between 1) temporary stress and pain and a healthy life after that and 2) stress and pain, a long agony and death. Please reconsider and, if you still decide for your bird not to go through the treatment, please do not wait to euthanize it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:44 am

The high levels of heavy metals are a complete mystery, she doesn't even chew on metals. As it's been going on for 4 years all I can assume is I've been conned on the cage which I paid top money for but since learned the guy that sold it was a bit of a rogue.

I changed the metal bowls to plastic ones but after 3 days of not drinking and starting to look dehydrated I caved and put the bowls back and she just had a massive drink. She's very phobic of new things.

With how far away the vet is I couldn't even get her there 10 days in a row. I'd pay triple the estimated price if he'd come to my house, restrain her for me and deliver the injections but it's not an option.

It seems I am in big trouble
stevesjk
Conure

Postby stevesjk » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:49 am

The vet disagrees with you by the way, he has said that this certainly isn't a guarantee to work
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:05 am

Well, in all honesty, I've never had a single bird with metal poisoning in the 30 years of my caring for them so I do not have any personal experience with the condition or the treatment but I have been on forums for many, many years and have known of many birds with metal poisoning and they all got better. The biggest problem, for what I have read, is that,when it is not caught early, there can be irreversible organ damage but that doesn't mean it does not work.

As to where she got the zinc... I remember an ekkie in Australia that got it from picking the metal thingie that holds together stained glass in a window.

The best treatment for it is injections of CaEDTA (it's a calcium something) in the breast muscle along with DMSA (succimer) orally. Why don't you ask your vet to give you the syringes and you -maybe with help from a neighbor or a friend- do the shots yourself? Where are you located? I am now in Northwest Pa, very near the Ohio border, are you anywhere near me? Because, if you are, I can bring her here and do the treatment with my own vet. If you are far, see if you can look for a rescue nearby that can help you or maybe a vet tech that lives nearby. Reach out for help, animal lovers are always more than willing to lend a hand.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:17 am

The injections would be a non starter for me as my mobility issues extend to my hands however I have successfully orally medicated her before with terbinafine by putting it on mashed potato.

I will be asking the vet on Friday for an oral version of chelation, if not available I will also throw money at the situation by asking if he can visit me every day to administer injections but his receptionist warned me that would either not be available or cost me a fortune.

Someone mentioned relinquishing the bird but if she had a new owner at this stage and if the birds first experience with them was taking her for injections then I think that would be extremely stressful for the bird
stevesjk
Conure

Postby stevesjk » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:18 am

Oh and I'm in Wales, UK.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:11 pm

Look for nearby rescues or animal protection societies, they don't have to be bird related but they might be able to help you... maybe they know somebody in the area who loves birds, maybe they can drive you to the appointments, maybe they can do the injections, maybe they know a vet's assistant or technician, maybe they know a breeder -they usually treat their birds themselves and anybody can give an intramuscular shot. You can't do chelation with only oral meds, you need the shots.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:41 pm

I've just passed her bloods onto one of the top avian vets in London, he said to ask my vet for a certain tablet, it's tiny so maybe able to crush it up and give give it to her, he said if I can get it into her it's the exact same success rate as the shots and if that doesn't work the shots wouldn't have worked either
stevesjk
Conure

Postby stevesjk » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:42 pm

I don't think just anyone could give my bird a shot, she's too skittish and nasty
stevesjk
Conure

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet