Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How hot is too hot?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

How hot is too hot?

Postby lzver » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:43 am

We are currently in the middle of a heat wave here in the Toronto area. It is around 32-33 degrees celcius (91 F) and in the low 40's (105 F) with the humidity. And we do not have air conditioning (however I think it will be our last summer without air conditioning).

Anyways, the birds seem to be doing just fine in the heat. They obviously have fresh water available to them all day and we have been misting them several times a day. In fact Lucy usually runs from her mistings, but the last few days she seems to be enjoying them. When I handle them, their body temperature doesn't seem any different than it normally is.

Not that there is very much I can do at the moment, but just wondering how hot is too hot for parrots? I realize that Red Belly's and Senegals are African birds and I'm certain it gets this hot and even hotter in their natural habitat, but are parrots bred in captivity able to handle the same amount of heat?

Again, they're not showing any signs that the heat is bothering them. I'm just curious more than anything else and just want to make sure I'm keeping them comfortable and healthy during this weather.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Re: How hot is too hot?

Postby notscaredtodance » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:07 am

I'm in ohio, we're going through that same heat wave, so I've been having the same concerns. My bird also seems to be doing fine, and I think it's just like you said, their natural habitat could get much hotter than what we have here. And they're only 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation removed from the wild. I doubt its too much of a difference for their bodies to adapt to.

You can put cool fruits and veggies in the cage for them to help cool them off. Obvioiusly don't have the cage directly infront of a window. Try opening all the windows and doors of your house but keeping the blinds down most of the way to keep the sun out, so that it doesnt get stuffy.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 am

in the local pet store here i have seen that they have put frozen bottles of water in the cage... that should help them cool off a bit, no? they dont actually touch the bottles but you could put something around it too, just in case.
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby Brittanyv326 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:56 am

How do YOU handle that heat?! No A/C? That's killer! I'm in Florida, where most days it's in the mid to low 90s plus over 50% humidity and I can't imagine living without A/C! I really think the birds should be fine, and I like that frozen water bottle idea too. Imagine having a giant block of ice in your house. I think it'd cool you down a little bit.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:08 pm

in nz during summer (Its winter now) we had a low tem arounf 26 with 97% humidity NO JOKE what i did my budgie didn;t seem to mind it but i kept my windows open and shut the curtains and put frpozen bottles of water surrounding his age to drop the temperature...it workes...
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 am

The main thing is gradual acclimatization. If the temperature is jumping around like crazy or you're taking the parrots in/out from air conditioning that is bad and they don't have time to adjust. However, if the temperature slowly and gradually rose day by day to this stage, it should be fine.

Look for signs of heat stress that include panting, dropped wings, and very slick feathers. If the birds drink from a bottle, provide a dish so they can bath whenever they get too hot. Keep them out of the sun.

I've been taking Kili/Truman outside in 90+ degree weather and I can see them start panting cause they are spoiled and used to being under the AC indoors. As soon as they get like that I wet them down and let them dry in the sun. I make sure they are fully dry before bringing them back indoors. I try to keep my at home temperature below 90 so I often leave the AC on in the day because I don't want to have the birds jumping around temperatures too much when I do put the AC on for me.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet