Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Diet and more

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Diet and more

Postby Romano » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:06 pm

Among all my birds only my hahn macaw is very picky with his food, choosing among the seeds and throwing out the ones disliked. I try two brands so far and no one of them seem to fit him. Any suggestion about a specific brand which will fit for his delicate palate?

Also he does not eat enough fruits or veggies. I try apples, chards, collars, celeries, as I live in the North of Canada we do not have a lot of good varieties and qualities up there. Any suggestions regarding how to compensate and what will be the fruits and veggies prefered by that kind of parot?

Also my green cheek (especially that one) and hahn macaw are bitting most of my plants, the hahn macaw is the electrical cords forcing me to remove to not plugged in for safety reason and pluged them only when lights are needed. Any suggestions on that issue will be welcome?

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions.
Romano
Romano
Even settle the wheel of my Roma ehtnicity reel in me
Romano
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 13
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn Macaw, Cockateils, Green cheek connure, Lovebirds, Finches, Canaries and Buggies and in December a five years old Amazon Parot
Plus other pets....
Flight: Yes

Re: Diet and more

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:40 am

Hi, Romano and flock, welcome to the forum. We have the same problem with wires and what my husband did was to either put the wire inside a PVC tube or cover it with this: https://www.amazon.com/Cacovedo-Protect ... 0377&psc=1

But there is nothing you can do about the plants - and I know because I LOVE plants and tried for years to find a way but had to give them up because nothing worked.

As to their diet... well, if you free-feed seeds, you will never get a parrot to eat healthy. It's as simple as that. Parrots are NOT natural seed eaters. Canaries, finches, etc are but not parrots -see the difference in the shape of the beaks? And how, when you put, say, a lettuce leaf in a canary cage, the bird goes straight for it while the parrot would go straight for the seed and ignore the leafy green? That's because parrots are supposed to eat mostly fresh plant material (buds, flowers, leaves, stems, fruits, etc) but, because their natural diet is low in protein and they need it for survival and procreation, they are hard-wired to eat as much as they can when they find a source of it. Only, in the wild, the source is limited both in quantity and only available seasonally while, in captivity, we give them dry seeds (they eat mostly green seeds) every single day of their lives. This excess of protein and fat ends up destroying their livers and kidneys and killing them before their time (fatty liver, renal failure, obesity, cardiovascular disease, etc). Offer your parrots cooked whole grains mixed with veggies and raw produce separate (and as wide a range as you can make it) on the side and reserve the seeds (better if they eat more nuts than seeds) for dinner only and make it a measured portion (what would fit into their crop and just a tiny bit more).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Diet and more

Postby catrinalacy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:24 pm

thank you so much for your words and tips, you really made my day
catrinalacy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet