Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

pin feather, not brokem,not bleeding

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

pin feather, not brokem,not bleeding

Postby anishkav » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:13 am

i am a first time bird owner. i have 2 cockatiels :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: , hazel(F) and velvet(M) both a month or 2 over 1 year. My male cockatiel had has a blood feather before and we visited the vet and got it good. But now I think he is molding and I see a feather pipe with blood in it and I am scared of it turning into a broken blood feather since tomorrow and day after tomorrow I have exams and wont be home for most of the time. is it normal for them to have blood in their feather pipes around wings when moulting? he has been aggressive for past 2 days but I think it was because I started giving them peas again after a while and it caused digestion issue but I gave the medicine for it and he hasn't been as aggressive. i also gave the medicine vet gave for blood feather today when I saw the feather pipe with blood in it. He is eating, drinking and flying but is aggressive. I cant go to the vet simply for the next 2 days, should I keep giving the medicine or is it normal for them to have blood in their feather pipes? :?
anishkav
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: pin feather, not brokem,not bleeding

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:29 am

I am a bit confused... what medicine did the vet give you for a broken blood feather? Because the only thing I can think of is antibiotics as prevention to a potential infection but it won't do anything for a pin. And, yes, if you look closely at pin primary and secondary feathers, you can see blood in the growing shaft. It's necessary for the feather growth. But there is no reason to believe that it will break unless the bird has not been getting a good diet rich in the right amino acids.

As to his aggression... well, for one thing, I've never seen an actual aggressive cockatiel, they are all so very mild-tempered that they never actually attack. I think that what you call 'aggression' is nothing but nippiness and that is normal when they are growing and having a full molt for the first time (they are very uncomfortable so give them a couple of baths a week to help with the pins).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet